Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who put alarms in their cars..

who put alarms in their cars..

Since our cars have 12v...anybody opted for car alarms...of our classics?

thanks
    Lemuel Libunao

I did, twice! , & they were such a PITA they both got scrapped
    Michael

the stupid thing is sometimes i want to go to dinner with the missis.. and you get that stupid ansy feeling during dinner...that someone will swipe your baby in the parking lot...and then i was thinking...our cars are so simple in the wire wise...where would they hide the unit..it wont take a rocket scientist to figure it out...not like the new cars spaggetti systems...

my 2 cents
    Lemuel LIbunao

Quote Originally Posted by Jappy View Post
    I did, twice! , & they were such a PITA they both got scrapped
    There are remnants of one my car's PO had installed: A pair of sensors behind the front bumper, a lock and keyhole in the decklid, and wiring that leads to heaven knows what. I'm leery of chasing the wiring as there are no current electrical issues with the car. Many have suggested I remove the lock and get the decklid filled in and repainted, but since the lid shows evidence of having been hit once and not repaired well from below I'll likely just replace the entire lid at some point in the future.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

If you have a old one without a shift pattern on the knob they will probably start off in 2nd. Chances are good that you can catch them on foot if you get there quickly enough. ;-)
    Last edited by oscillon; 09-14-2011 at 09:09 AM.

agree with Raj, only a select few would know how to steal your baby, and really, do they want to? compared to whatever is parked next to you (such as a lowly camry), there is much more value in stealing a modern car.

if you are really worried, removed the fuel pump fuse, or disconnect the wire from the coil or points, or any number of other things....best bet, a really loud exhaust so you can hear if there is any monkey business going on outside....

LE
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I restored a '70T a couple of years ago, that had a Bosch Cut Off switch mounted Under Dash on Passenger side - forward where it couldn't be seen without crawling into the footwell. Was done at the factory - I still have the letter from Porsche confirming the order for this installation. Seems like a simple solution. You could remove the handle after turning the switch to the off position (of course not while the engine is running :-)
    Penske Sunoco RSR Tribute
    72E Based RSR Clone Project

What Raj says... regarding classics being targets for thieves, I'd worry more about my '64 VW microbus being stolen than the Porsche.

My wife wants Lojack, but a cutoff switch mounted stealthily is way cheaper. Besides, can you imagine a car thief dealing with a Sporto?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Saw a story a couple of months ago about a thief who tried to steal a manual trans car and was caught very quickly as he did not know how to drive the manual. I can't recall the alarmingly hi percentage of new car sales that are automatics.

My solution to keeping my kids from texting while driving will be their car WILL be a manual tranny

we have that conversation all the time....what will our 6-year-old's first car be.....Jood and I think it needs to be big and slow, manual transmission, no back seat .....then we saw this....

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2587405434.html

nearly perfect....but I can't justify holding onto it for 10 years.

asked our son what he thought, he said "no"

he wants "dad's sportscar"...fortunately not "the race car"....so, he's talking about my 2005 BMW 545, 6 speed....not a bad choice, if I can downgrade him to a 528, it would meet most of the qualifications.....of course, my first few cars were each $200, and were as old as I was....so, I guess a 2005 528 wouldn't be out of the questions.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622