Thread: Starting a 72 T after a long storage.

Starting a 72 T after a long storage.

I need some advice from the gurus. I am a new guy here in the Early S Registry and joined for the purpose of learning and sharing during restore and repair of a Sepa brown 1972 T. I just purchased the 72T, an all there almost 100% rust free non sunroof coup but needs loving care from front to back. It has been sitting for well over a year and likely many more. The previous owner only had it for 8 months or so, was not long-hood or even Porsche savvy and left it sitting out in the weather. He had grand plans but plans are much easer than action. He stated he never tried to start the car. I turned the motor over by hand and it turns as it should and I can feel the compression strokes.
    My question is what should I do other than the standard items like replace the oil, 100% clean out the fuel tank flush the fuel lines, flush the fuel pump replace the fuel filter and the like. This is my first foray into the world of MFI. My concern is with the MFI system and a desire to do no more harm than time has already, I have a well equipped backyard shop and reasonable mechanical skills. I am familiar with Longhoods and presently own a 69 sunroof coup 912 and a full race 2000lb 911 that kindof sortof looks like a 73 rsr if you stand back real far and squint.

The 911T is going to be my street keeper. I plan to sort it from front to back and use it as the sunny day driver. I have more tools and skill than money and hope to repair/rebuild rather than replace as I go along.

Pictures and vin build info to follow. Thanks in advance for any assistance, Kurt

Check this thread at Pelican. Pay close attention to posts 20 and 21.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...checklist.html
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Thanks Harry, good stuff. I did some digging around last night and was happy to see there is a good pool of info on the MFI and other unique longhood systems. The more I poke around the "T" the less Mr. Badwrench damage I am finding. The mechanicals look largly unmolested and all there. Too bad it just a T