Thread: Reliability and service question Turbo Cayenne

Reliability and service question Turbo Cayenne

http://www.ecarlist.com/showroom/2729/photos/1725055

This are beginning to look like values. Anyone with experience? Most of these Turbos look like they were babied!

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Macroni; 09-16-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I have no personal experience with these, but a friend of mine is the master tech at the local dealership and has indicated that they will be very expensive to maintain. There is a lot of electronics which is hard to get to (labor) and expensive compoments. They are not DIY friendly. His advice "only if you have a very good extended warranty that includes all electronics". Then there will be the potential inconvenience.

This may be true for all modern vehicles and Porsche has just caught up with the disposable concept.

He also indicated that the techs do not like to work on them, but their shop seems to be full of them all the time.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

This is based not on a Cayenne but a gt3, but I am assuming all recent porsches may suffer from the same ills. Get back to CA after 4 months in Boston, cannot wait to drive the gt3(this is pre-earlycar ownership, I don't crave the gt3 anylonger) Anyhow, the battery is dead, after not being driven in a week, needless to say it's on a battery tender now. So, battery is dead, only way to pop the hood to jump the battery is to connect the jumper cables to the fuse that is supposed to be sticking out from the rest, down by the pedals. My fuse was not even flush with the rest, it was depressed beyond all of the others, impossible to attach a cable to. So, I'm going to get her towed, because I cannot jump her. But, the wheels are locked, and I cannot unlock the wheels unless she has power, which she does not. I got lucky, because if the wheels had been turned to the right or the left, I don't know what I would have done other than put her on skates or something, so lucky for me, the wheels are locked straight. But, I cannot get out of my driveway now, because I cannot turn the wheels, and I must exit at a 45 degree angle to keep from ripping off my front end. So, luckily, the flat bed tow truck is able to back up my driveway and set the bed perfectly in line with the gt3, got one chance to get her on right, or I'm screwed. We manage to push her out of the driveway backwards, and onto the waiting bed, with just enough downhill for a little speed. Get her to Stead in Walnut Creek, and finally we are done with the 2 hour episode of the 'dead battery'. What a pain in the arse!!! And fact is, after seeing the yellow 07 gt3 on rennlist, the one that was stolen and burned on the side of the freeway(crispin is the moniker of the owner on rennlist) a year or two back, these cars can still be stolen regardless of these 'safety measures'. I love my 69's, anyone want a gt3??
    Spencer
    Early911s #1912
    '60 356B Roadster
    '69 911T 2.8 MFI
    '69 911S
    '77 3.0 Turbo
    '10 GT3
    '88 M5
    '90 M3 sterling silver
    '90 M3 alpine white (sold)
    '04 M3 blk/blk (sold)

No experience with the Turbo, but the Cayenne S is a great car. Turbo Porsches (of every generation) are more expensive to live with and maintain. But that's the price you pay at the top of the heap. Maybe a GTS would be a better choice...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687