Thread: Cavity Wax for the upcoming winter

Cavity Wax for the upcoming winter

Hey All,

I recently purchased a california survivor 912 that I plan to use a daily driver here on the Right coast. Considering this car has zero floorboard/body rust I'd hate to destroy it by not taking any precautions visa-vie rain & etc.

Has anyone used any of the cavity wax products (3m wurth & etc) to protect the areas within the doors and fender regions? If so, what do you recommend as a rust prevention tactic (other than keep it in the garage).

Dan
    1996 993 black/tan

I bought six cans of Wuerth cavity wax. It stinks, it's fairly thin, it dries brown. Spray it everywhere.

A significant danger: cars that have lived in dry climates their entire lives, but not rusted, will immediately crumble into dust when exposed to a hostile climate. The undercoating on SWB cars in particular was applied over bare metal, and as a result, moisture permeation over the decades has rusted the underlying metal underneath the undercoat. To properly treat these areas, you should remove the old undercoat, remove the surface rust, then apply some modern etching primer and schutz over that. Then put cavity wax all over everything.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I bought six cans of Wuerth cavity wax. It stinks, it's fairly thin, it dries brown. Spray it everywhere.
    Are any particular tools needed? How do you get it deep into the rear box sections?

Cheers
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

call these guys and discuss your questions about their product and application. There maybe an application professional in the DC area

Waxoyl Direct Line
    802-662-8062

You might also want to consider Ziebart

http://www.ziebart.com/
    Last edited by boxster03; 09-21-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Are any particular tools needed? How do you get it deep into the rear box sections?

Cheers
    The cans come with a short nozzle and a long nozzle. You need a hole about 2mm wide to get the long nozzle through. It's a liquid, you shoot it high, it runs low. Be sure to put some cardboard under the car when you do this, you will have brown puddles where the excess runs. It will go to the same places that water goes.

I guess if you really wanted a long nozzle you could get one of the purpose built long ones, snake it inside and empty the can. Try Eastwood for these.

I bought everything from the guy at Goodspeed Motoring, he was great to deal with and had the best price on the Wuerth cavity wax. http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wur...ion-spray.html

Quote Originally Posted by boxster03 View Post
    call these guys and discuss your questions about their product and application. There maybe an application professional in the DC area

Waxoyl Direct Line
    802-662-8062

You might also want to consider Ziebart

http://www.ziebart.com/
    I considered this briefly until the idea of somebody other than me approaching my car with a step drill to put holes in the panels for the process discouraged me.

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I bought six cans of Wuerth cavity wax. It stinks, it's fairly thin, it dries brown.
    Have you done this yet? Just wanted an update if you have.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Oh yeah. I went to town on the car with the long spout, still have three cans left. Basically everywhere water can pool-- inside the headlight buckets, inside the bumperettes, inside the rear of the bumpers. Up in the trunk is where you can really get down-- in the gas tank support, in the longitudinals up there where the gas tank rests.

I didn't do the rockers just yet because I still need to Schutz them, so I don't want any wax there. But everywhere else. If you mess up it comes off easily. It's easily removed during concours prep so if you make a mistake and get some someplace, it comes off with P21S Total Auto Wash. When the rockers are schutzed it's easy enough to see where to do it-- the Factory left giant gaps around the jack tube. Get in there with the long nozzle and spray until stuff starts dripping out.

Hi there
    Oldtimer Markt, a German Classic Car magazine has tested all available options in a really scientific way with long term tests and salt spray and so on and so on.
    Best result was always Mike Sanders. It's no wax it is Grease.
    It needs some equipment and preparation to effectively apply it, as it has to be applied hot. So you need a hairdryer with a tube to preheat the nozzle of your pressure cup spray gun (it pas to be with pressure cup) , an electric water kettle to heat the grease, a well prepared car (don't let the stuff cool off) and the ability to live with grease spot draining out of your car when it's sitting in the sun as the stuff gets everywhere when it gets warm.

No amount of wax, grease, whatever will protect the car (especially swb) from salt. Buy a winter beater, or view the premium paid for a clean car a "sunk" cost.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964