Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Masochists Dream: 67 SWB 912 to LWB RSR

A Masochists Dream: 67 SWB 912 to LWB RSR

I have had this car for a little over a year now and decided to start a thread for this fun and challenging project. This is my 10th Porsche, 6 914s & 4 911s. some of you have seen my last Porsche project, the red 914 V8 as seen in John Glynn's article "concealed Weapon" in the Jan 2010 issue of Retro Cars magazine along with John Goriup's thread " Porsche Picture of the Day".

I decided to pursue my dream of building a 73 RSR tribute car. I looked high and low for an inexpensive canvas in which to start my dream. After a one or two year search, I found what appeared to be a suitable chassis from which to start. The vehicle is a 1967 912 SWB. The car came basically as a roller with no engine, trans, interior, guages, lights etc. This didn't bother me as nothing that would have come with the car would have been used anyway.

What the car did come with was a front pan that had rusted away, inner A pillars that had been leaked on and subsequently rusted away, a passenger footwell that had rusted through, a drivers floor board that looked like Swiss Cheese, a rear window C pillar that had a nice quarter sized rust hole, a rear package tray that had disintegrated, a rt. rear taillight housing that had been cut off, a rust hole in the right rocker, a passenger front fender with a rust hole in the lower rear section, a drivers fender with a rust hole in the pointed upper section by the windshield. The previous owner supplied me with a new replacement pan and some original sheetmetal from other donor cars. Thanks Craig.

One day last year, a group of friends and I went out to lunch to talk about our in common hobby; old 911 Porsches. We went back to my house to show them what I had recently obtained. Of course, they all were very diplomatic by saying " hey, it looks like a nice project", when I knew what they were really thinking was "What a F**king piece of
    Sh*t.

To roughly quote Spicolli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, "I got an excellent set of tools, I can fix it"!
    Last edited by skid marx; 09-21-2011 at 07:57 PM.

My plan is to repair all rust, strip the body to bare metal, epoxy primer the entire chassis, replace the torsion tube and rear shock tower with a later Carrera unit, add RSR strengthening braces to both front and rear, install steel Turbo/RSR rear flares, add ST/RSR front flares, replace all suspension with Carrera parts, run 9" & 11" Fuchs, convert from 912 to 911 engine and trans.

The trick here is to do this without spending any OUT OF POCKET HOUSEHOLD MONEY!

How does one do this? By looking for the best deals on parts, trading and/or selling parts that I already have and doing side jobs of metal fabrication/ rust repair on other people's cars.

Why do this? Why not start with a better 911 tub with all the modifications already done? The answer is one; because I can, and two; I couldn't find an affordable chassis at that time.

So if you are ready, hop on board for my little adventure, because truly only a masochist would attemt a project like this.
    Last edited by skid marx; 09-21-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Well, you have seen Alan.UK's resurrection of a RHD chassis from little more than a VIN and a cobweb of steel. Go for it.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Pictures please! Also, just curious, what the rusty 912 set you back. I have my 912 waiting patiently for me and I always wonder what that hunk of metal is worth, as I frequently need to justify it's place in the garage while my truck and daughters car live in the outdoors. It's in tough shape, but I don't think it's as rough as what you describe. I'm still deciding what direction to take my 912 - restored 912 - sport inspired street rally car - vintage racer or some variation of all three. I had planned on beginning metal work this summer, but too many other projects have taken priority thus far. Best of luck and I'll be watching this thread.

Keith
    My Garage:
    66 912 (Project)
    11 Mini Cooper S Hardtop (Daily Driver)
    10 Mazda CX9 AWD Grand Tour (Wife's Daily Driver)
    05 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 (Haulin & Towin)
    various "one design" sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
    912 Reg. #0025-C
    Early 911S Reg. #1979

I have lots of pictures, but I am having trouble getting them posted. I am hoping to start posting them today. I basically traded an old car for this car. The value was around $1200.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by skid marx; 09-22-2011 at 10:22 AM.

More pictures of the first day

Damn, what a pile!

First thing to be done: reattach the right rear corner.

Be nice Craig, or I will have to reveal where I got this fine automobile.

Haha...ok, I take it back. Seriously though, wait until you guys see all of the hard work Bob has put into this car....what a transformation. It's about time you started a thread on your build!