Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New 84 VW GTi

My New 84 VW GTi

Picked up a Mk I Rabbit GTi over the weekend. It originally ran in the Neuspeed Cup series and won the championship. Will be converting it to a stage rally car - softer springs, skid plates, gravel tires, lights, co-driver seat, rally computer, etc. Lots to get done but if all goes according to plan it will be at the LSPR rally in 3 weeks!

GTi 2 sm.jpg
    GTi RACECAR sm.jpg
    gti racecar 034 sm.jpg

I should mention (before I get more concerned phone calls .... ) that the vintage bolt-in cage will eventually be replaced with a proper cage. Rally America would not let this car near a stage with that crappy cage. We will be using the car at LSPR this year as the course-closing car only, will not be at full speed and the cage will suffice for that.

Looks great Curt. I saw it on your blog and was/still am looking forward to seeing its progress.

Thanks guys. The cage it needs has just a few more tubes The cage in there now should serve as a good speed governor for us. I'm thinking of taping a reminder sign on the instrument panel: "This Cage Sucks. Slow Down!"

RA Cage 12.jpg

GREAT FIND!!

Is it the original engine or a 16V?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

You son of a gun, have you retired already??? It's clear you have waaaay to much time on your hands!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Retired? Yeah, right. I wish. Marco - the engine is original 8V and was rebuilt to SCCA ITb specs (.040 over, reground cam, ported, header, etc.) and has about 1000 track miles on it. Runs and sounds very strong. Quaife limited slip. Took it out in the parking lot for some 'laps' and it's about like driving a go-cart

You are truly out of control. Bring that bad bitch to Autobahn and wring it out! Wouldn't that be fun. Love watching those VeeDubs running around the track lifting the inside rear wheel. But alas, you have different plans for the car...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    You are truly out of control. Bring that bad bitch to Autobahn and wring it out! Wouldn't that be fun. Love watching those VeeDubs running around the track lifting the inside rear wheel. But alas, you have different plans for the car...
    Wow, now there's the pot calling the kettle black I'm hoping to have the problem of having to choose which of my cars to bring to Autobahn next year since they should all be running, for once (after a 1 year delay, the engine in the quattro rally car is being built as we speak!)

Yeah, I was going to say, "more out of control than me" but thought not. I say bring 'em all!

So I was perusing your blog, which I have not done in a while, and saw your posts on the 7 liter Galaxie and Plum Crazy Dodge. Neat garage finds. That 7 liter Galaxie is actually pretty darn rare. I saw an episode of What's My Car Worth? and they did a segment on a car just like that. So what is happening with that car? And the Plum Crazy car - you need to stay on that guy...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T