Thread: SWB door shells

SWB door shells

There was some kind of change in the hinge to door shell fastener (screw/bolt) in early 1966MY . Anyone know what it is ? It's strange in that it does seem to have affected the design of both the hinge itself or the door shell....those both are listed as applicable through 1968MY (hinge even later). The only change in the fastener I can think of that would not affect the two pieces that it mates with ...is the part of the head that receives the tool to tighten/loosen..yet not the mating surface nor fastener size or thread pitch. The fastener change is cataloged by car serial number in the PET.

And are there any other changes in door shells not cataloged in the parts book from 66MY - 68MY (I don't think i'll be touching with many 65MY's) ? I'm a detail person and I might want to use a shell from a differant car with less problems in a restoration , and whether covered with a door panel or not... I try to use pieces that would actually have been installed in an original build. I know from examining other sheet metal pieces , there can be changes not noted in the parts books....yet not requiring a part number change (at least to numbers in the PET).
    Last edited by peekaboo; 10-02-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Here are some pics of a driver door I have from a SWB 911. It has stamped numbers on it, but I haven't tried to record them. The hinges are visiable in the pics, and they are slightly different from later door hinges. This one is for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

The 66 door was before the window regulator change. All 4 bolts are in the indent.I still remember the bulletin showing where to drill the new holes. The only hinge difference that I recall is the fastner head difference. Sorry, I didn't work on many 65s so I can't help there.
    H
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Excuse me . I guess the fastener I was looking at in the PET diagram , was to the body.. not the door shell. I guess only half of the hinge is removable ?

I still am trying to figure out if there are any differances in door shells of these years that a keen eye could notice (besides doors from Reuter built 911's having ending VIN digits stamped...& probably similar with Reuter 912's thru 1966MY).

Yes, there are differences, the window regulator attachment is the way that I spot the 66 doors.
    H

Aha , thank you Mr. Weidman . I was writting my reply from looking at the posted photo while you answered. If anyone knows of any others that are in addition to this at any other time...pre 69MY. (I will worry about any Post 69MY , if the need ever arises).

From looking at the yellow shell in the photo posted (thank you letsrollbabe) , even though only two fasteners for the regulator ..the indents for the 2nd two are there. So once holes were drilled. You would not be able to tell one from the other . So... IF... there were no other changes then you could interchange shells from any 1966 - 68MY car without detection ...unless it was a Reuter Vin stamped shell. But from Mr. Weidman's following comments. I guess i will have to examine a 66 shell next to a 67 & 68 closely
    Last edited by peekaboo; 10-02-2011 at 09:36 AM.

If you look closely there are indents for the late regulator holes. Even with the holes drilled in the early doors you can tell because of the lack of indents
    H