Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are SWB Seat Belt Receivers the Same Front & Back?

Are SWB Seat Belt Receivers the Same Front & Back?

Experts,

\Ddoes anyone know whether the seat belt receivers (the actual buckling mechanism) are the same in front and in back? Clearly, the selt belt tongue (that inserts into the buckle) is shorter in back, but are the receivers/buckles the same?

Thank you.

ms

On my '68, the the original Porsche logo buckle receivers, as well as the insert tongues, appear to be identical front and rear. The fronts are no longer in the car, but I have kept the hardware intact for possible reuse if I can ever figure out the webbing length patterns for the various sections. Richard
    1968 912 Sunroof, Irish Green (original owner)
    1985 911, Prussian Blue (sold)
    2010 Carrera 4S, Porsche Racing Green

rpidduck,

do you have photos of your buckles? i thought the '68 buckles were black with a red latch lever.

thank you.

Repa seatbelt receivers for 1968 are the same front and rear, black with red buttons. The belts carry a dated Porsche/Repa fabric part number tag sewn to the webbing adjacent the mounting tab. The belts in both my '68s are original to the cars.

Name:  Seatbelts1972.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  62.7 KB

I suspect rpidduck's logoed seatbelts are a dealer installed item, probably Hickock with chrome lift buckles. On some versions the logo is in an embossed circle, some a shield; early versions have enamelled or cloisonné metal emblems, later ones foil decals. I have three versions, one set from a 356 the others from early 911s. Dealers also sold aircraft-style lap sets with aluminum buckles, PORSCHE stamped into the receiver.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Did all MY '68's come from the factory with belts? Could this be a 911 vs. 912 difference or a mid-year change out. I have only seen in 912's the chrome front and rear buckle with the Porsche colored rondelle in '68's. As I recall rpiddick's 912 was a factory delivery picked up by him in Germany.

I believe the repa red thumb button belts were the first factory installed belts, starting at some point in '68. previously there were a variety of dealer-installed belts. I've seen at least four types, all with the porsche logo in some fashion. with the repa, the buckles were the same front and rear but the tang/adjuster side was different. the rear tangs were smaller and had a rectangular plastic cover, the fronts were larger and square. of course all this will be disproved by some car that has something completely different. looking back, the factory wasn't real regimented about what went in which car when.

note: the above is subject to change when someone smarter than me chimes in.

Do not know rhyme or reason , but chrome logo type came in a spring built 1968 US 912.

Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    Do not know rhyme or reason , but chrome logo type came in a spring built 1968 US 912.
    FWIW my '67 912 came with a set that appeared to be original to the car also.

I love this community and this forum!! The amount of information available and shared is wonderful. Thank you all!!

I guess that it's possible that my car came without seat belts, but that just seems odd to me. Since my '59 cab had belts, it seems odd that a '68 would not have them.

I have a question and an observation, for discussion purposes:

First, I'd like to know whether the buckle & strap in Bullethead's photo were the same for front and back seat belts? In other words, can you install the rear seat belt strap/buckle for the front seat? The photos I've found indicate that the front buckles had a stiff plastic sheath that holds the buckle/strap vertical, but I'm wondering if the buckle/strap under the sheath is the same as the part in the rear.

Second, in Brett Johnson's 911 book, page 64 clearly shows a '65 911 with a chrome buckle w/logo. Also, one of the boxes that came with my car have a chrome buckle, but that is no guarantee that the buckle was original to the car. At the same time, it seems that many people agree with Bullethead that the black buckles with the red thumb lever were 'correct.' I'd like to hear more input, if you all don't mind.

Thank you.

The first factory installed belts looked like tiedown hooks, they attach to the car through eyebolts dipped in black plastic. The buckles were plain chrome with no logo of any kind. Extremely, extremely rare- most cars have the dealer installed Hickock which install to the same eyebolts.

Did your SWB come with "two pairs of seat belts"? What does COA say?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen