Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for things to do & see in Ca

Recommendations for things to do & see in Ca

I'm staying on in California for a couple of weeks after Rennsport Reunion &, never having been to Ca before, I'm open to suggestions for places to visit, etc - not necessarly car-related.

I don't have any definite plans yet & haven't booked any hotels after the RR weekend so am quite flexible (have a hire car booked).

I'm hoping to maybe visit a few 'shops' - TLG, TRE, Harvey W, etc but no firm ideas yet ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Hey, Andy . . .

Some suggestions (while up North) . . .

Danville
    Blackhawk Collection
    http://www.blackhawkcollection.com/

Emeryville
    Fantasy Junction
    http://www.fantasyjunction.com/

Coming South, be sure to drive The One --- Monterey, to San Simeon.

Take pictures,

Share.

R

We Can Be Heroes

That's a very open-ended question.... As a native-Californian, who was born and raised in San Diego,...has lived in Los Angeles...and lived in San Francisco for 3 years... I'd say it all depends on what you're into and what you want to do...

San Francisco is Great..and October is usually a great weather month.
    I loved driving across the golden-gate and up Marin to the Pt Reyes lighthouse.
    There is tons of great restaurants in SF... Le Colonial is one of my favorites.

In San Diego..there is always the Zoo..truly one of the best in the world...also the Wild Animal Park and Sea World..plus La Jolla..(drinks at La Valencia overlooking La Jolla cove).... or head up to Del Mar and have breakfast on the beach at Poseidon.

And LA is full of great things too.... Like I said, it depends on what you're in to... If you want specifics, feel free to PM me.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Being someone who really misses CA right now, this is what I would do if I were home. If you do cross the golden gate, cruise through Sausalito, and continue on to Tiburon perhaps, Sam's anchor cafe in downtown Tiburon gives wonderful views of the bay from the outside dining area. I lived in Santa Cruz for several years, another place I would go to right now, about 45 min north of Monterey on the 1. I miss Tacos Morenos and the Taco Bar on Pacific Ave. in downtown Santa Cruz. Do you golf? If weather holds up, there is some wonderful golf(obviously) out there, and it doesn't have to be Pebble or spyglass, so much golf!! Like Rick said, you must drive the 1. If you are flying into SFO or OAK, you can drive into Santa Cruz on the 17(fun and winding road) to get to the 1. If you really have time to waste, find the 9 in los gatos right before reaching the 17 from the 680, and do the very large mountain circle that will lead you into Santa Cruz and the 1. Go south from Monterey on the 1 and hello Big Sur, always gorgeous. Keep going and you will be in Morro Bay before you know it, and then San Luis Obispo. And I'm sure the Socal guys can take it from there. If I've confused anything, please correct me norcal guys, I'm still trying to figure out that in Boston, west takes me away from the coast
    Spencer
    Early911s #1912
    '60 356B Roadster
    '69 911T 2.8 MFI
    '69 911S
    '77 3.0 Turbo
    '10 GT3
    '88 M5
    '90 M3 sterling silver
    '90 M3 alpine white (sold)
    '04 M3 blk/blk (sold)

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    ill second the PCH (ie 1 from monterey to san simeon). Stop by hurst castle. enjoy a day in solvang/buellton for wine country (perfect stop if you're wife is coming along). if you see any missions along the way, stop and see them. the one in santa barbara is fantastic. there is a lot of history in california. see and learn as much as you can.. really fascinating state.

There are many fantastic national parks out in CA. if you're there for a few weeks, take at least a few days to visit yosemite. if youre in the bay area just north of the bay is muir woods.

it is a beautiful part of the country with many diverse eco systems and fauna.. and well worth seeing all that nature provides in cali.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Why don't you come pay me a visit?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Lots of nice roads in the mountains around Marco's house.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Hi Andy,

Hwy 1 along the California coast is some of the best scenery in the US and since you'll be so close at RRIV, it would be worth the minimal effort. Two years ago I visited San Francisco with my sister (as a gift to her) and we specifically drove from Carmel to Cambria. When it was my turn to drive again along the coast, she wouldn't give me the keys back. I didn't mind with such a view. My girlfriend and I will also be at RRIV and we plan on stopping and seeing the Redwoods on our drive down.

Hope you have a great time visiting!!

Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Spencer has some excellent recommendations...

I lived in LA from birth-18 and now the BAY for 6 years...Love it all..

Check out TRE- worked there for a summer - check out TLG & John Esposito's in the same driveway - I've been still meaning to get up to Harvey's place

Joshua Tree Nat'l Park is pretty excellent in the south/SE desert..barren, but beautiful..boulders, joshua trees..

The beaches in LA ..Newport etc., along Pacific Coast Highway...wowow what a sight .. I think a new Ferrari is like every 20th car! Kind of like London but a beach setting.

Yosemite is just mindblowing if you have a couple days to spend there..take a few day hikes..or longer if you're ambitious and want to pack .. I have camped out in the Sierras in October and it has been glorious except possibly rainy..pack the rain gear..but not a problem for you I'm sure, coming from the UK

Hwy 1 - BIG SUR, CAMBRIA, MONTEREY , CARMEL, PEBBLE BEACH, 17 MILE DRIVE . uuf! it is lovely. Just take Hwy 1 all the way from L.A. to the Bay ..you won't regret it

Hwy 17/9 Santa Cruz /Los Gatos - lots of fun driving

San Francisco - The Place for amazing restaurants and night life, bars, TOP OF THE MARK hotel - bar - Amazing view of the city and drinks

If you can , the backroads behind North Berkeley are just fantastic as well..Hit Grizzly Peak Road and catch a view of the entire Bay and Golden Gate Bridge..

Spencer's recommendation of Sausalito / Tiburon is also choice. Rent a bicycle in North SF on the water and cruise across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito for lunch (about 12 miles), see the sailboats

Hard to go wrong!

HAVE FUN!
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    The Napa Valley
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606