Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for things to do & see in Ca

I would drive Hwy 1 in each direction. Take your time. Pick up some good deli food and some beverages. Stop at small beaches along the way and just relax listening to ocean waves. Explore some country lanes east of Pescadero if you can. After the Porsche sensory overload and listening to loud sports cars for three days you will need some peace and quiet. Enjoy, Andy!
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Andy, do come by if you are in the area.
    I'm partial to visiting shops when I am on the road..and usually the road is a big part of the fun. Try to see as many shops as you can (both North and South) the great guys on this board can point you to some in their areas. Definately TLG, TRE, Kundensport, Willhoit, Easy, Parts Haven, Pacific Fuel Ing, Elephant Racing..you get the idea. Heck, even TRG if you like later stuff. Maybe even some collections if you play your cards right.
    H

Pay a visit to the Canepa Design showroom and museum off of Highway 17 in Scotts Valley. Many of Bruce's Porsches will be at R-R IV -- since it's really his event even more than Porsche's, but there's always much to see and the facility is stunning. Check out Jerry Woods Enterprises off of Highway 17 in Campbell on the other side of the Hill, which merged with neighbor Morespeed a few years back. They may be slow after R-R IV what with all the customer cars and racing their customers' Cup cars. Kind of the Yin to Canepa's Yang -- a cluttered industrial tilt-up with a home-made dyno room, that has turned out cars like the Sunoco 917/30 and Garretson and Akin 935's that wowed the crowd at R-R III. I'm not a big fan of our cities; San Francisco and L.A. can't hold a candle to New York City or Washington D.C., The smaller places like Santa Barbara, Pacific Grove, Healdsburg, St. Helena, Mendocino, and my own Santa Cruz are great places to hang out (second mention for Tacos Moreno -- just drove my 911 down for a couple of tacos al pastor and a Modelo...). I agree with Randy -- the backroads of the Santa Cruz Mountains, West Marin, Sonoma are endless pleasures, as are the secluded beaches along the rural parts of our coast. Everywhere you go, you can find world-class food, wine, and craft beers.

As has been said, definitely drive Hwy 1 south - there is a great state park at Big Sur (Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park) where you can spend an hour or a day. Great place to stretch your legs & take a short hike if nothing else.

Also, I don't think the Monterey Aquarium has been mentioned - worth a visit if that interests you at all.

Andy,

what to do in california. E A T. some of the finest bestest greatest yummiest food in all the world.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Don't want to highjack the tread, but how long will it take to drive down from Monterey to LAX, all the way by highway 1 on the coast ?

I'm planning to do it monday after the races
    Thanks !
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by RS-GT View Post
    how long will it take to drive down from Monterey to LAX, all the way by highway 1 on the coast ?
    Give yourself at least six hours; more if you want to enjoy the drive. LA traffic is a bear. Leave Monterey at dawn to beat the tourists, stop for breakfast at Nepenthe.

Thanks to everyone who's replied with suggestions so far - some great advice.

Keep it coming !
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Visit this particular winery...

http://www.jpvwines.com/

Make sure to set up an appt...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    St Helena is where those pics I posted were taken

Friends owned a vinyard there- now a part of the Vinyard 29 operation ( building in the pic).

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606