Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving on, Sort Of

Scope Creep Poster Child

Moving on, Sort Of

On the eave of my 49th birthday I'm reminded that life is complicated. This complication means that I need to sell my car. Although this is not something I want to do, it is necessary in order to move forward and meet goals that my family and I have set. The good news is that there is no awful problem I'm facing, i.e. my health is good. I simply need to shift my attention and financial assets elsewhere for the time being. It is also the case that this decision does not reflect any diminishment of interest in my car or 911s in general. This makes the sale more difficult, however. I thought I'd be leaving that car to my kids.

I look back on the last 10 years of ownership with great fondness. This board has been a large part of the pleasure I've derived from the car. The people of this board have been an unwavering source of support, information, wisdom, and entertainment. I'm indebted to all of you for that.

I won't disappear altogether. I still need to get the car sold, and I'm already building the next one in the garage that is my mind.

If you're interested, here is the thread for the sale:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...970#post534970

Hope to see many of you at Rennsport. That, I'm still doing!
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scott, I know this must have been a very difficult decision for you and one for which you most probably had been bracing yourself for some time but sometimes life deals you a challenging hand and you have to make a tough choice. Just rest assured that it is the right choice for this moment in your life and that at some other point you will make another choice and an early 911 will live and breath in your garage once again.

I too had to face such a choice 8 years ago when circumstances forced me to make the decision to sell a very unique 73S, one which recently won best in class at Carmel. It was a truly special car, as is your very own Burgundy E, yours perhaps even more so since you personally have so lovingly devoted so much time and passion in rebuilding it.

With the car gone my early car passion took a back seat for a while but I couldn't keep it at bay for long and was eventually fortunate enough to come into my father-in-law's conda green 1970 E which enabled me to indulge my passion again for these early cars we all cherish so much. In a way the passion returns even stronger the next time around, so I am sure if my experience is anything to go by that you will create the opportunity to enjoy the ownership experience again in another chapter of your life.

Hope to see you at Rennsport
    Cheers
    Nick

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Today was the day - it's gone. It was even harder than I thought it would be. It's going to a great home in America's Heartland. I hope the new owner will become an active part of this board.

Nick-

A belated thanks for your words of encouragement, and testament about the tenacity of Porsche passion. I may not be a Porsche owner today, but I'm a 911 guy through and through.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Clarke; 11-08-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

One thing for sure...when you're ready, you can ALWAYS buy another...keep us posted.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Damn Scott . . . I'm sorry you had to sell it. Your car gave me the inspiration and ideas to build mine and if you look at the two it's pretty obvious. Never the less, I'm sure you will be back. Hope the new owner respects my Burgundy brother and keeps the original paint. By the way, I saw it in the flesh at Rennsport and naturally loved it.

All the best,
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Tom-

I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet at RRIV! I didn't realize you where there. I know I would have spotted your Burgundy car if it was there, so you must have been in something else.

Rest assured, the new owner is a fan of Burgundy. In fact, I had a very significant amount of interest in the car, and the color was a very significant factor in that interest.

I think you influenced me at least as much as I did you.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scott, I know how you feel. White Targa going to new home in 2006, and surprise new Red Targa acquired in July 2011. Son and Daughter both out of college now and daughter married!!!
    Attachment 199458Attachment 199459
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clarke View Post
    . . . didn't realize you where there . . . would have spotted your Burgundy car if it was there, so you must have been in something else . . .
    Spotted yours at RRIV . . . lovely car.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images   

We Can Be Heroes

Scott's car arrived into the Chicago-area over the weekend. Reliable Carriers did a great job delivering the car in a very timely manner (one week from initial phone call to the car being in my garage - Oregon to Chicago).

I had the opportunity to drive the car over the weekend a bit (no plates yet) and I couldn't be more happy with the purchase and the process. Scott was a pleasure to deal with and was upfront with all details about the car.

I haven't had a chance to stretch her legs yet, but she runs beautifully and the transmission is a joy to use. Scott built a great car.

Here's a picture I snapped on my maiden voyage with her.

Last edited by meat; 11-14-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Welcome,
    Congrats on a great purchase and car. Hope you use it well.
    Keep in touch.
    H