Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bringing a '69 911S Back to Life--Long Overdue Intro

Quote Originally Posted by beh911 View Post
    . . . Any updates on your car? It's been a while. Just sent you a PM . . .
    I know people get busy, but . . .

. . . pretty cool car/story

Anything, Bryce?

We Can Be Heroes

Last time David and I traded emails he was researching options and option codes to get his COA accurate...

Very cool car
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Member-1969 Sand 911S
    I took a day last week to work a little on my car and provide this long-overdue update for anyone interested.
    While getting my COA sorted, with the help of one of our Registry experts, I was able to source another original interior in the same vinyl colors as mine. Neither mine nor the procured one was perfect but together, I knew I could build one.
    I sent all pieces off of have the seats unstitched, vinyl matched and then resewn. I had the all the foam replaced and new cards and parcel shelf cover re-covered with my original, cleaned and matched material.

As the light beige velour carpet is not available (and is the recent topic of a very interesting thread)I picked an oatmeal square weave that although technically not correct for the year, looks great and ties everything together nicely. (Besides, my wife liked it best and with these projects, especially ones that take time and money, anything one can do for buy-in is essential).

Some of the little details I've been working on include replacing the glass in my Durant mirror (the mirror was cracked, so I broke it out, removed the plastic edge ring, cut s new glass and easily put it all back together); replacing the cigarette lighter housing that had corroded and had lost the plating and was rusting so as not to allow the lighter from being removed; sourcing a period Blaupunkt with the correct mounting hardware to allow for the seamless basketweave band across the dash (by the way, I'm still trying to source the square C-bracket that screws onto the back of the radio and mates with the holding bracket mounted to the car).

We're also still finalizing some of the front end repairs and anticipate a drivable car this year.

I'll post a few pics soon.

Here's one to whet the appetite. 1969 Berlin Rallye badge given to me as a gift.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  92.7 KB

Member-1969 Sand 911S
    Another detail that may be of interest is my windshield. Here's a picture of the manufacturing marks. I'm not sure it's original, but my records don't show it as ever being replaced. If anyone and tell me it definitely can't be original, it would be nice to elimate that part of the equation.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  98.3 KB

Member-1969 Sand 911S
    Sorry about the orientation of the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    Another detail that may be of interest is my windshield. Here's a picture of the manufacturing marks. I'm not sure it's original, but my records don't show it as ever being replaced. If anyone and tell me it definitely can't be original, it would be nice to elimate that part of the equation.
    Two identical windshields mentioned here: http://ww.early911sregistry.org/foru...es-65-73/page2

Name:  69S Windshield.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  109.0 KB

Cheers, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Same as the pic of my April build '69S, posted here by LongRanger. Post 1127.
    Bob B

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...atanic+details

Member-1969 Sand 911S
    Thanks fellas! The knowledge on this forum is always amazing to me.

I remember seeing both of those posts, but at the time I didn't have access to mine to make the comparison.

Glad to see another 69S back from the brink.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Member-1969 Sand 911S

Part IV: Progress with the interior

As there has been some interesting discussion lately on the forum about beige interiors and carpets, and as mentioned above, here are a few shots of my interior. The door panels have been cleaned, new foam and backing, but all original vinyl.
    Name:  IMG_0953.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  195.5 KB

The seats also have been re-built, insides, but outers are the real deal. As a reminder, the goal was to salvage and refresh everything possible, but still make them comfortable and useable. The seats are by no means perfect and no one could mistake them for new, as they retain small reminders of their age, but overall I think they turned out great.

Name:  IMG_0954.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  104.7 KBName:  IMG_0955.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  76.5 KBName:  IMG_0956.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  84.4 KB

I mentioned we decided on an oatmeal square weave, here is a shot of the layout.
    Name:  IMG_0952.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  92.7 KB
    Last edited by David Taylor; 03-04-2016 at 11:47 AM.