Thread: Going Racing. . . POC? PCA? NASA? SCCA?

Going Racing. . . POC? PCA? NASA? SCCA?

So. As I am working away on 0587, I'm thinking about getting involved in racing. Probably not with 0587, but I'm just researching now, slowly and deliberately.

What's the best place to get involved as a relatively inexperienced driver? I want to build a good car, a car that incorporates tricks and is fast. Not a 911SC spec. car.

POC, PCA, NASA, SCCA-any others? I live in Norcal so a group that runs Laguna, Infineon, Thunder Hill...

If I'm not a front runner, that's OK. But at some point, I would like to race for real, not just drive around on a track.

What's the best place to get involved?

I can build an extremely trick motor, and make a car that is effing fast, and it can be ballasted up to minimum weight or to meet a class power/weight ratio.

Shoot.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Quote Originally Posted by YTNUKLR View Post
    What's the best place to get involved as a relatively inexperienced driver? I want to build a good car, a car that incorporates tricks and is fast. Not a 911SC spec. car.

POC, PCA, NASA, SCCA-any others? I live in Norcal so a group that runs Laguna, Infineon, Thunder Hill...
    Two questions, Scott:
    Are you determined to go racing in a 911?
    How deep are your pockets?

I know you are passionate about 911s, and I can understand a desire to go wheel-to-wheel racing, but do you really have enough time for such an effort, and are you really well-funded enough to build another car for W2W racing while restoring the one you have? That's taking a pretty big bite out of the apple and a lot to chew on, unless you just came into a boatload of $$$ and don't have to earn a living anymore. Just sayin'...."What part of the Porsche racing thing do you think will be cheap and easy?"

With little experience, I would think about perhaps getting involved first in karting and see how you like the W2W thing. It's a good place to learn race craft, car control and setup without going broke. Dip your toe in the shallow end and see how it feels first, then move up the food chain if you like it.

Just my $0.02,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

I ran poc events in my 71T for a few years driving to and from the track including a couple wheel to wheel events.It was expensive fro me at the time but the car NEVER BROKE it was just brakes and tires.I did most of my own wrenching and added trsions ,sways ,and a cage.This cost about 500 bucks for a race weekend. I am now returning the car to stock trim. For the next 6 years a couple friends and I did off road racing in 1600 class in SCORE, great fun and comraderie but very expensive ,basically rebuilding the car every event .cost was between 5K and 10K depending on the event. I am thinking now that a neat way to go porsche racing would be a SPEC 911 with either a 2.7 rs spec motor out of a 74 to 77 tub I think for 10k along with a bunch of spare crap that I have this would be doable as long as I built it myself.Just thinking out loud. Steve

FYI If you value your time is always cheaper to buy a finished car.My spending brain is able to justify chunks in about 1K increments. S