Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My old S in Esses

My old S in Esses

Interesting to see my old S featured in Esses. Now owned by Matthew Hebiton. It's quite a bit different than my old configuration. I had it lowered and setup for auto-x. The car's name is Elvira. I bought it on Halloween and it was black. I'll try to find a photo. Matthew, if you read this post and want to chat about the car, PM me. I owned it for 13 years. I almost passed on buying this car because it did not run like an S. After much time re-jetting and installing the correct chokes on the webers and properly tuning the car, it came to life and ran like a scalded dog during my ownership. I believe the original color to be burgundy. Nice article.
    Bobby Smith
    Bobby Smith
    member #299
    1973 914/4 2.8 ltr. (FTD winner 2008 Charlotte Parade) (sold)
    1973 911 "Orangello"
    1973 914/6 GT 3.2 "Crystal Blue Persuasion" (sold)
    2011 Boxster Spyder
    1973 911 E "E GO" Metallic Green

A known history - even an oral one - is a thing to be cherished...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Bobby,
    Thanks for the post. I will send you a PM too, as it would be great to hear some more about the car and get some old photos.
    I have been trying to piece together the history of this car and if anyone can help me fill in the gaps, I would greatly appreciate it. So far I believe the previous owners to be as follows:
    Nov 2002-Oct 2010: Tom and Kathy Dance.
    Sept 1989-Nov 2002: Bobby Smith.
    Nov 1985-Sept 1989: Jim Martin (Porsche employee).
    ? (early eighties best guess)-Nov 1985: Bill Metzler.

The only earlier record I have is a "for sale" add in Panorama (July 1977) by Tom Merritt in Richmond, VA.

Once again Bobby, thanks for keeping all those records.

Tom, thanks for your post too, and loved the Lambo story, classic stuff.

Matt

Bobby,
    Thanks for the post. It sounds like this car has changed it's look a bit over the years, but it is still a blast to drive.
    I have been sifting through all the receipts that came with it to try and trace all the previous owners. So far I have come up with:

2002-2010: Tom and Kathy Dance.
    1989-2002: Bobby Smith.
    1985-1989: Jim Martin.
    Early eighties (?)-1985: Bill Metzler.
    The only earlier lead I have is an add in July 1977 Panorama for sale by Tom Merritt (in Richmond VA).

If anyone can help fill in any of the gaps I would really appreciate it.

Tom, thanks for your post too, I loved the Lambo story.

I took "Elvira" out for a great drive this morning btw, route 4 winding up through the hills.

Cheers
    Matt

I found a couple of photos of Elvira when I owned her. Sorry for the quality of the photos. Obviously a very different configuration. You decide which is best. It was quite an autocrosser/street carver like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bobby Smith
    member #299
    1973 911 "Orangello"
    2011 Boxster Spyder

Reminds me of Chuck Miller's car ... very cool. I dig it.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thanks Marco. I'm very curious to see what the current owner thinks of the way the car looked when I owned it. He PM'd me and maybe he will chime in here and add a current photo for those that did not see it in Esses. Different strokes for different folks.
    Bobby Smith
    member #299
    1973 911 "Orangello"
    2011 Boxster Spyder

Bobby,
    Thanks for the photos. i have to say it looked pretty good in black and i like the sports exhaust too. I have made a pact with myself not to do any work on the car for 12 months, to just drive and enjoy it, but I must say, I am pretty tempted to change the color and I think these cars look great in black.

Attached are a few photos of how she looks now, hard to believe its the same car.

Matt.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have to say, I like the European style lights better than the sugar scoops, but then, my car is pretty hot-rod.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

+1 on the lights and lower it. Not a fan of black though, looks great in its current colour.
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132