Thread: revving capability?

revving capability?

Hi guys,

I recently rebuilt my engine, and am at the moment in the process of breaking it in.

the engine is a 2,2E with standard 66mm crankshaft, the cylinders are LN Engineering Nickies 87,5 and the pistons JE Engineering with compression 9,8:1. The cams I cannot be 100% sure of, while they are reground,and I do not have any exact vaules, my engine builder said they match S cams. And of course it has IDA 3Cs.

I am a bit unsure where the redline would be for such a set up. So my question is how far is it safe to rev it and where does it come "on cam"?

Cheers,
    Johan H
    Last edited by Johan H; 10-22-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Reline should be 7300 if the rods are stock. The cams should come in at maybe 5000 if they are S and with a 2.2. I can feel the S cams start to work around 4500 but I have a 2.7RS so the larger displacement pushes their effect lower in the rev range.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Lightbulb

I've found that the real S cam 'hit', in a 2.4 or smaller motor, comes at about 5000-5500 .......

A 7300 red line is a little conservative but safe.
    I still have my 7300 limiter in and wouldn't call my driving style conservative...

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

thanks for the info!

yes the rods are stock, so I'll also keep the 7300 limiter as you say.

Will be interesting to see how she goes above 5000 rpm. With the 87,5 Nickies its approx 2,4 litres, accompanied with the 66mm crankshaft it should be eager to take revs.

Cheers,
    Johan H