Thread: How do I remove the center pad & trim ring from my bat wing horn button?

How do I remove the center pad & trim ring from my bat wing horn button?

I have a "sawed off" batwing which has a very nice embossed leather center, but the trim ring chrome has completely faded and the finish has worn off the rest of it. I'd like to remove the leather and trim ring, have the trim ring rechromed and repaint or powder coat the center piece, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get this apart! There are six tabs coming through the center piece, and I assumed that it was simply a matter of lifting these and gently prying the pad off, but no amount of gentle prying seems to help. Am I missing something here? I don't want to damage the leather, which is in great shape. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sorry you haven't had a response, and that I've only just seen the post, but if you are still stuck ....

....you are right the only things holding the centre pad/ring in place are the 6 tabs. I used a heat gun on the back to loosen the glue that holds the front pad to a circular backing disc, but basically you just have to straighten the tabs and then push through the tiny slots with a screwdriver blade until it starts to release. One of the six tabs has a small 'pip' pressed into it and one of the holes a slight recess - make sure you line these up when you try to reassemble or you will never get the ring tabs back through the holes. It's a tight fit and a nerve-wracking procedure. Also sounds obvious, but make sure the logo is lined up before you press it all in place - you don't want to have to get it out again.

In the middle of this long DDK thread you'll see the refurb of my wheel and boss. Chroming the ring makes all the difference. My leather centre was in a poor state, but lots of moisturising cream got it back like new. Bottom of page 5

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=33207

Quote Originally Posted by MTemp View Post
    Sorry you haven't had a response, and that I've only just seen the post, but if you are still stuck ....

....you are right the only things holding the centre pad/ring in place are the 6 tabs. I used a heat gun on the back to loosen the glue that holds the front pad to a circular backing disc, but basically you just have to straighten the tabs and then push through the tiny slots with a screwdriver blade until it starts to release. One of the six tabs has a small 'pip' pressed into it and one of the holes a slight recess - make sure you line these up when you try to reassemble or you will never get the ring tabs back through the holes. It's a tight fit and a nerve-wracking procedure. Also sounds obvious, but make sure the logo is lined up before you press it all in place - you don't want to have to get it out again.

In the middle of this long DDK thread you'll see the refurb of my wheel and boss. Chroming the ring makes all the difference. My leather centre was in a poor state, but lots of moisturising cream got it back like new. Bottom of page 5

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...p?f=28&t=33207
    Thanks for the reply and link. I was able to get this off after the suggestion that I just apply more pressure on the tabs, so with a good grip on some needle-nose pliers, I pushed hard and finally got some movement. Several rounds and the ring was free. I had it re-chromed and it is now back together with the original horn pad and a newly painted batwing.