Thread: matching body panels?

matching body panels?

Im relatively new to older 911s and am curious if the body panels, doors, hood, etc. carry matching numbers like 356s? My new project is a 1968 SWT. Thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mpotvin View Post
    Im relatively new to older 911s and am curious if the body panels, doors, hood, etc. carry matching numbers like 356s? My new project is a 1968 SWT. Thanks, Mark
    Ooh, a 68 SWT. I'm currently restoring one myself, so I would love to see photos.

I'm not familiar with the 356 matching numbers and their locations so I hope I understood your question correctly. On the short wheel base 911s like your 68, the matching numbers are on the door pillar tag, the luggage VIN stamp under the hood and a stamp under the knee kicker pad roughly below the stereo opening. You have to take off the knee kicker to see that one. There should also be a hand-written matching number written on the metal below the dash cover. You have to take the top part of the dash off to see that one. I've got two 68 cars and can only still see the marker on one of the cars. 45 years of oxidation takes it toll on markers I suppose. Those are the matching numbers I'm aware of.

--Von
    Last edited by Rotmilky; 10-25-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Von Whitley
    Los Alamos, NM
    1968 Polo Red coupe (under reconstruction)
    1968 Metallic Silver SWT (under reconstruction)
    Registry number: 2016

Quote Originally Posted by mpotvin View Post
    To the best of my knowledge that practice ended somewhere in 69 or 70. My 67 has the number on the door panel, and had it on the engine lid. I don't have the original fenders any more but I think the number was stamped in the headlight bucket.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.