Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help researching an M472

Help researching an M472

Hi all,

I'm new here and would like to start by thanking the many knowledgeable contributors to the forum- I've learned quite a bit in the last week!
    I've had a couple of 911s (including a '72) but I am on the verge now of something quite a bit more special, a '73 Carrera RS.

Now the "ask"- I've had John Starkey assist me in researching this car's history, but for a variety of reasons we're having trouble and I wonder if anyone here might be able to help. I'd rather not post the VIN publicly (yet) but if you think you can shed any light drop me a line and I'll provide it, along with the info I've been able to gather so far. The car was originally delivered in Germany, whereabouts unknown until next appearing in Japan around 1992 in the collection of a Mr. Takahashi, owner of a company called "Tasco". It remained there until 2007 when it made its way to California.

I would be very grateful for any leads that would help clarify the car's history before Japan, or any leads on tracking down Mr. Takahashi.

Thanks much!
    -Bill

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the world of Early 911s. Certainly an exciting model to research and own. Did this Carrera come over through Symbolic Motors? They have brought over a significant number of these cars. Unfortunately I know of several really nice examples that came out of Japan and all the history was 'stripped' away from the cars. Pretty frustrating for a buyer like yourself.

You might want to send a private message to David W. (RealRS#406). He has traveled to Japan in the past to research his own RS as well as another very nice M472. He has good contacts there. If you end up with the car be sure to show it off here please.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian, you are spot on. It came through Patrick and Symbolic. According to PvS it is customary for Japanese sellers to split away the records when selling their cars. I am hoping to reestablish contact with the seller and get at least copies of the original documents, but for the moment Mr. Takahashi has slipped through our fingers. Of course there is still also a large dark hole encompassing the 1973-1992 period which we would very much like to fill. On the bright side the car is a very nice original example and so far there is no reason to doubt its authenticity. As John put it quite succinctly, beware "fakes and rust!"

Why is it customary in Japan to split a car and it's historical paperwork? What value does that left over paperwork provide to a former owner? Cultural mindset I am sure, but doesn't make sense to me.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

How is anyone supposed to help out without a Vin #, no picture, nothing except a name rom Japan? Also what is the reasoning behind not giving out a Vin number?
    Mike

If the car is GP White with Green stripes, PM me.
    Early S Reg #1809

Sent you a P.M.

Do a search by your VIN . . . . all kinds of stuff --- even on our little site.

Funny 'bout the pictures on that RS site . . . locale looks just like the one that European Collectibles uses.

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/13901/index.html

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...r-daily-driver

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/cl...1-553693.xhtml

http://autodealerads.75vn.com/sfbay-10019.html

http://forums.quattroworld.com/other...s/100490.phtml

http://www.classiccarsglobal.com/ad.asp?ad=013475

On a side note . . . does anybody keep/drive these cars, any more? From some of the comments, it looks like this vehicle just sold back in February.

R
    Last edited by LongRanger; 10-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks, believe me I've searched til my fingers were numb! Nothing so far to help with the history beyond what I already know. And to your side note... if I go ahead with this car I will NOT restore it. I really like its originality- I'd only repaint it back to its proper color and DRIVE it.