Thread: Door seals - OEM or Old style repops

Door seals - OEM or Old style repops

Hi all,

Does anyone have first hand experience in comparing the OEM style seals with the Old style repops as sold on by stoddard or Sierra Madre? Just wondering which way to go as I'm just reassembling after a bare metal repaint.

Any input would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Alex

Do you mean other than the fact that they have completely different profiles?

I got my original style repros from Sierra Madre, they fit fine. Installing any door seal takes a long time.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Exactly - they seem entirely different from one another and I'm wondering if one does better than the other in terms of wind noise, install, actual seal, etc.

Where I'm going to be judged in a concours I use the old style profile, or if originality is the point of a restoration, otherwise the newer profile is better.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Installing any door seal takes a long time.
    Why does it take a long time? Does the door have to come off? I will have the door seals on my '73S replaced this winter. What do I need to look out for?
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia911S View Post
    Why does it take a long time? Does the door have to come off? I will have the door seals on my '73S replaced this winter. What do I need to look out for?
    No, the door stays on. But you have to fit the seal in the groove and make sure it doesn't end up bumpy, then make it work with the vinyl rear wheel arch panels, the black plastic threshold trim, the stainless threshold trim and the boot cowl carpeting. It has to be glued in so it doesn't come out. The corner has to be mitered with a razor very precisely and then glued so it doesn't separate. And so on and so forth.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

So is the general concensus that the newer style "OEM" seals are the right choice for a non concourse restoration? I've spent so much money during this process on parts that were sub standard that any help I can get from those with experience will save me big headaches.

A related question - Do I need to install new carpet, headliner and piller vinyl before installing new seals?

Here's some pictures from a couple days ago - It's coming back together bit by bit!

Best,

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yes, all those interior pieces you mention are glued into the seal channel, so the seal is the last part to go on.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.