Thread: Engine Reseal Cost?

Engine Reseal Cost?

My car is undergoing a complete body and paint restoration. After four months, the metal work and body work are finished, leaving paint and reassembly still to go.

While the engine and trans are out of the car, I'd like to have the engine's oil leaks corrected. The engine was completely rebuilt 6 years and 32K miles ago. The leaks are not "bad", however there are greasy deposits on both heat exchangers and a couple of small drops on the garage floor after driving.

My plan is to have the engine/trans transported from the body shop to my mechanics shop for the job.

Should I plan on a complete reseal? Or, is there a more economical option to consider given the engine's rebuild and mileage history?

Any "educated guesses" on how much $ this will cost? (my mechanics labor rate is $95/hr.)

Thanks.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

member #1515
    I find that the more you drive these cars the less they leak. My car has always leaked a few drops overnight. These are air-cooled engines with mag cases aluminum barrels and some steel components, all with different expansion rates. I just live with it, it's part of their character.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Name:  early911 004.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  179.9 KBName:  71porsche 003.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  127.2 KBFrank here are a couple pictures of my '71 targa.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I find that the more you drive these cars the less they leak. My car has always leaked a few drops overnight. These are air-cooled engines with mag cases aluminum barrels and some steel components, all with different expansion rates. I just live with it, it's part of their character.
    +1 to that. You can spend a lot of time and $$$ chasing down leaks. Try putting some miles on her and see if things subside a little before tearing everything open.

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Hi Frank,

It's 40 hrs. to reseal a motor. I would live with it unless it really bad. Someone mentioned different oil will help but I can't speak to this. There is a consistent opinion that all "mags" leak and if they don't...the motor will eventually. I'm sure someone has a motor that does not. I'd put your money into panel fit and the foundation i.e. interior, suspension, trim etc.

Your car looks beautiful.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

Just have someone look at it...some leaks are an easy fix.
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

+1 on the 40 hours for a reseal, that's the factory "book" value... Mine is having that redone as well because those leaks were not gonna magically cure themselves... At the same time of course, we redid the valve guides, main bearings, rod bearings, timing guide rails, the rings, oil return tubes, and a list of little things like the fuel pump check/recalibration and a huge cleanup of the entire motor/transmission all caked in oil. Shop rate is same as yours (rennen imports in Tampa) but some if not all of that extra work is included in the 40 hours anyway since it costs pretty much the same to reinstall old parts or new ones, so I don't know if that is comparable.
    Last edited by Greg D.; 11-01-2011 at 05:51 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Try a thicker oil, like mineral 20/50 Castrol Classic or similar. My 73 leaked like yours with thinner oil and more modern oil.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim