Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations: Suspension Bushings

Recommendations: Suspension Bushings

Putting together a long dormant SWB and plan on an upgraded S motor. In the plan is replacing all suspension bushings for a street/sport ride. Not looking for a bone rattling noisey ride. What products have you used that would achive this? Or stay factory stock?
    Thanks,
    50/50

I very much like Chuck Moreland's Elephant bronze bushings. They don't affect the ride quality and add precision to the handling. The only downside is a bit of increased maintenance as they need to be greased. Just do it with each oil change.

johnt

I like the Rebel Racing bushings. They are lighter and cheaper than the polybronze with "low friction mounts" and also do not need to be greased.

A-arm Bearings disassembled view 1 by Max_911S_fahrer, on Flickr

A-arm Bearings view 1 by Max_911S_fahrer, on Flickr
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Stock rubber...
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

And there you go. I knew someone would say that. Three replies and all three of the options have been mentioned.

Max,

I just looked on the RSR web site and the bushings I see don't fit SWB cars (with the possible exception of the fronts that would probably fit a '68). Does RSR make tSWB bushings?

johnt

+1. Love these on my 71.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    I very much like Chuck Moreland's Elephant bronze bushings. They don't affect the ride quality and add precision to the handling. The only downside is a bit of increased maintenance as they need to be greased. Just do it with each oil change.

johnt

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    Max,

I just looked on the RSR web site and the bushings I see don't fit SWB cars (with the possible exception of the fronts that would probably fit a '68). Does RSR make tSWB bushings?

johnt
    Sorry about that, Clint says the rear bushings can fit a SWB if you specify that with your order. He will modify the insert into the torison tube for a SWB car. The front bushings will not fit SWB cars unless they have changed out to the LWB crossmember.

+1 on Rebel Racing bushings.

Here is the link on my LWB install for reference: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...8-Shocks/page3

Saving up to replace the rears soon.

I've installed them all and I find the Smart Racing bushings to be my first choice every time. Elephant bushings are great but they require too much maintenance on a mostly street-driven car and I feel they are too harsh. I installed the Rebel stuff on Max's car and really liked the product but, again, I feel they are too harsh for street duty. Stock rubber is great but not firm enough when you start hucking the car through the corners. The Smart Racing bushings are firm enough for sporting intentions but they flex enough to soak up some of the ruts and potholes of street driving.

Just my $.02.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687