Thread: 930 brake installation on 1972 911

930 brake installation on 1972 911

I recently purchased a 930 brake kit from Rothsport. I wanted to inquire with the forum on any 'tips' for doing this conversion. The kit is complete as is described. I was searching here and Pelican and I didn't find a specific thread documenting the installtion. The kit came with 4 hard brake lines, 2 straight, 2 pre-bent. Would anybody have a thread that documents this project? Since I am living here in Switzerland I don't have ready access to all the shops and friends in SoCal I normally would. And since this is our only car here, its key that I make sure to 'have a plan' for this swap.

Thanks in advance,

James

member #1515
    Main issues are the spacing on the front caliper mounting bolts and inside wheel clearance.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks David. I think I've got spacers for that.

I heard there is some rod you need for the master cyl. - my kit didn't come with one so thats what has got me confused.

Quote Originally Posted by mjshira View Post
    Thanks David. I think I've got spacers for that.

I heard there is some rod you need for the master cyl. - my kit didn't come with one so thats what has got me confused.
    The master cylinder pushrod. You have to "roll your own"...

The front brake lines were provided and you have to bend your own rears using the straight pieces.

And just because you run spacers doesn't mean the wheels will clear the calipers. Be prepared for some grinding/filing.

Also, you cannot run backing plates and you have to cut the backing plate mounting ears off the rear arms if you're running aluminum trailing arms (I don't recall what you have).
    Last edited by Mr9146; 11-13-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Thanks Marco! Much appreciated. So do I need to source this 'master cyclinder push rod'? On the rear brakes, thanks for the tip on 'rolling my own'. Since I don't puff puff the magic stuff I will need to get a roller to do this task. I believe I have stock trailing arms. I will post pictures of all my parts when I get back in town from Asia. That should make it easy to see what I have and what I need to get.

Hi,
    you will have to source specific front hubs, if you want to run with solid front 930 rotors, or buy VCI rotors .

Quote Originally Posted by OliveR View Post
    Hi,
    you will have to source specific front hubs, if you want to run with solid front 930 rotors, or buy VCI rotors .
    I don't think so, Oliver. I believe he got early rotors and hats/bolts with the kit. He got the kit from Rothsport and Jeff supplied everything he should need less the pushrod.

James, you have to make your own pushrod for the master cylinder; you can bend your brake line curves with sockets or extensions and your two thumbs.
    -Marco

thanks dude. what do I make this push rod with? There is a male end on the MC, is this where the pushrod goes? Sorry to be so lame here, never changed one of these on a Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by mjshira View Post
    thanks dude. what do I make this push rod with? There is a male end on the MC, is this where the pushrod goes? Sorry to be so lame here, never changed one of these on a Porsche.
    The pushrod itself threads into an "eyelet" that cotter pins to the brake pedal ... when you get under the dash you'll understand what I mean.

Get a long metric bolt that threads into that eyelet and cut/shape it to fit into the master cylinder. It has to fit slick and without binding, and you have to leave a mm or 2 of play so that there is no load on the master cylinder plunger when the pedal is at rest. Otherwise you will have brakes that are always on and will warp your rotors and boil your fluid. You'll also need to adjust your brake light switch because the pedal won't move as far with the larger master.
    -Marco

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    I don't think so, Oliver. I believe he got early rotors and hats/bolts with the kit. He got the kit from Rothsport and Jeff supplied everything he should need less the pushrod.
    Good to know, thanks Marco !