Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 Vehicle Weight

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    2263 lbs

3/4 tank, so add, say 5 gal x 6.03 = 30.15 lbs.

Includes me: 155 lbs. Webasto and original spare ( but Deep 6's on the car ),
    Tools, and Vintage Seats

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I guess I should add that my car was weighed without driver. 2000 pounds with driver and fuel really would be something!
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    That makes sense now. They should be weighed without the driver, spare, tools and adjust for the fuel quantity for comparison. Some factory quotes were without any liquids...
    IMHO
    H
    That depends for what purpose.

The purpose of the weigh-in wasn't to build a database of vehicle weights or to confirm factory weight specs, but to provide accurate corner weights for each owner. Because of this objective, it's customary to weigh the vehicle with the driver (or equivalent) on-board otherwise corner balance is compromised/inaccurate. As Eric offered, all vehicles were weighed with the driver on-board.

Each owner knows how much they weigh, so it was just a matter of them subtracting their body weight to arrive at their as-tested vehicle weight.

BTW, if one wishes to weigh a car w/o spare tire, jack, tool kit, carpeting, fuel, oil, glove box contents, etc., that's up to the owner and the perceived value of bragging rights. However, without the aforementioned items, in no way would that reflect the real-world weight as it rolls down the road.

Sherwood

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    mine was weighed for corner balancing

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Quote Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
    That depends for what purpose.

The purpose of the weigh-in wasn't to build a database of vehicle weights or to confirm factory weight specs, but to provide accurate corner weights for each owner. Because of this objective, it's customary to weigh the vehicle with the driver (or equivalent) on-board otherwise corner balance is compromised/inaccurate. As Eric offered, all vehicles were weighed with the driver on-board.

Each owner knows how much they weigh, so it was just a matter of them subtracting their body weight to arrive at their as-tested vehicle weight.

BTW, if one wishes to weigh a car w/o spare tire, jack, tool kit, carpeting, fuel, oil, glove box contents, etc., that's up to the owner and the perceived value of bragging rights. However, without the aforementioned items, in no way would that reflect the real-world weight as it rolls down the road.

Sherwood
    When adjusting ride height/aligning cars we had 1/2 tank of fuel and sand bags approximating the drivers weight. When comparing build weights usually one would not have the driver, fuel or accessories in the car-depending on the race rules.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    When adjusting ride height/aligning cars we had 1/2 tank of fuel and sand bags approximating the drivers weight. When comparing build weights usually one would not have the driver, fuel or accessories in the car-depending on the race rules.
    H
    Understood.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-1892-lbs.html

I went back to fuchs so I'm over 1900 lbs again. working on the aluminum rear engine support and x-bar. replaced the headlights with fiberglass covers and am putting on hood mount lights so that's probably a wash, but I really wanted the hood lights. got the '68 alum window frames so they'll go in this winter. probably a lexan rear window when I do paint. and building a 3.4 so I won't have to worry so much about the weight

Can you post pics of the aluminum rear engine support and x-bar?

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    I would suggest that we post the weights of our cars with out driver, and a full tank of gas, spare and tools. To be consistent.
    My 1968 911 sunroof coupe weighs 2340 lbs. in street trim according to this standard. The factory DIN curb weight in the manual is 2381 lbs. My car is highly modified, though, and not really representative of the model. It has lightweight FRP lids and bumpers and light enclosures, a lightweight interior (no soundproofing w/RS carpet kit, R-door panels, bucket seats, and rubber mats), but then a 3-liter aluminum-cased engine and a late 915 transaxle adding weight back in, along with a 70-lb. roll bar assembly. With tool kit, jack and spare tire removed, and lighter race wheels and tires mounted, it weighs 2270 lbs.

My 1991 Carrera Cup car weighs 2430 lbs. with 3/4 tank of gas but no driver. It is also highly modified w/ full cage, full lightweight FRP 993EVO widebody panels, no interior trim or soundproofing w/ a single race seat, Lexan windows, 3.8L engine w/ large 18-qt. front drysump tank, and G50 6-speed transaxle. Not really comparable to anything else either, but another datapoint for this list.

TT
    Last edited by ttweed; 02-04-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

My 92 US Carrera Cup has a shipping weight of 2891 on window sticker (street version) and the factory corner balance (race version) of 2502.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658