Thread: opinions on 74 2.7 engine #911/92 6141293

opinions on 74 2.7 engine #911/92 6141293

Have an opportunity to pick up this motor and was thinking of building an rs motor.
    I have a 70e coupe with the original engine was going swap for the 2.7 and rebuild the 2.2 at a later date.
    I think some of the early 74's had Nikasil barrels and no thermal reactors is that right?
    Any thoughts?
    2.7 doesn't have the cis just IDA carbs no airbox just K&N filters with caps.

74s didn't have thermal reactors. The cases are usually in better shape, but still need the once over.
    I think that is a 911 plain. Some had Alusil cylinders. (mine does) Not a bad thing-just different.According to my engine guy.
    That is the engine that I'm building.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by plumber View Post
    Have an opportunity to pick up this motor and was thinking of building an rs motor.
    I have a 70e coupe with the original engine was going swap for the 2.7 and rebuild the 2.2 at a later date.
    I think some of the early 74's had Nikasil barrels and no thermal reactors is that right?
    Any thoughts?
    2.7 doesn't have the cis just IDA carbs no airbox just K&N filters with caps.
    I agree with Harvey and would add that the Carbs are a plus vis a vis the standard CIS..that is for a modified motor..which is what most would do with the motor; mostly you are buying a case and carbs. Thanks.

-Allen-

carbs turned out to be 46IDAs has had the Carrera tensioner and valve cover upgrade. On a engine stand now to see if the engine matches the carbs.

I built my 2.7RS engine from a '74 engine. Mine did not have Nikasil barrels, but I'd factored in a new set of 2.7RS Mahles. I used my 2.0 engines webers and had PMO send me new internals (venturis, emulsion tubes and jets). I think 46mm webers are going to be too big for your application... You can have your CIS cams turned to S spec, but you'd be better off getting new ones to suit.

In hindsight I'd have built it with higher compression P&Cs and gone with more cam... But building it to factory spec has given me a very reliable engine.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by plumber View Post
    carbs turned out to be 46IDAs has had the Carrera tensioner and valve cover upgrade. On a engine stand now to see if the engine matches the carbs.
    Will have to be a BIG engine to work with those Carbs! ..I suppose you can neck them down with smaller venturis..but what' the point? Thanks.

-Allen-

oil cooler

has anyone seen this type of oil cooler was on the motor in question.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like the popular/old 28-row cooler to me.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...il-cooler.html

Link has a nice scan from the Anderson book.
    Last edited by kentf14; 11-24-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

67 normal motor 901/05

Ok so I have the 2.7, the oil cooler and 46 webbers going to build an RS motor.
    I also have a 901/05 67 motor do I spend the money on the 7R case or use the aluminum case?
    Just a plumber need help!

I tore apart the motor the heads are 901-104-307R
    Mahle cylinders 90ZN2w6
    Mahle pistons 90P27
    The cam is from a mechanically injected car as it has the extension for the gear on the end, Haven't got that far yet.
    Can anyone tell me anything ore about this motor with this additional information.
    I will get the number off the cams in a few days I hope.
    Thanks for any info.