Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tensioner help - advice needed

Tensioner help - advice needed

1972 911T, stock 2.4. Engine rebuild history unknown but was running fine (good compression and leakdown) when pulled from car for repairs of various oil leaks and general cleanup.

I've search using keyword "tensioner" and found lots of opinions......use a fixed tensioner, use the stock mechanical tensioners, use 930 tensioners, use collars on the mechanical or 930 tensioners, use the pressure-fed updated tensioners. Lots of opinions.....

My question is two fold.....first, what do I have, and second, what should I do? See pics below:

The part number shown is 930.105.501.0R. I see I have the spacer so I'm assuming these are not the stock early 911 tensioners (plus the P/N does not match the PET). Are these the 930 tensioners? Opinions on replacing with Carrera tensioners (big bucks nowadays) or can I just use the guard collars?

Would love to use the $20 set of guards and save $1,000 plus for other projects on the car. I know it's a Porsche but I'm trying to do this within some sort of budget!

Thanks in advance.

Scott

No ideas on which tensioners I have?

I will start the reply for you.

The 930 chain tensioner is the last one before the hydraulic one.

Since I don't want the lines from the hydraulic set up I am using the same 930 tensioner w/ the safety collar.

Richard

Looks like a 911/930 tensioner. Put collars on them and call it a day...
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Regarding your 2nd question, I'm with Richard and Aaron on this --- the 930-type-cum-safety-collars are bomb-proof.

The 'Carrera-type' hydraulic tensioners are Porsche's ultimate solution . . . . but the extra oil-lines are fugly, IMO.

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Just to be clear for the record, there were no stock mechanical tensioners for production cars, they were all hydraulic. Only the aftermarket made mechanical tensioners. They were not a good solution.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Restoration newbie.
    Change out your idler arms for the wider ones or have yours modified
    and throw those spacers in the bin. The idler arm binding on the shaft
    is part of the failure equation.

While you have them out rebuild your tensioners, it's an easy job with
    the kit 911-105-901-01. Add collars.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Note! check the stud in the rocker box it can come loose and allow the hole mess wobble with dire consequences!
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    When you add the collars, don't make them too tight or they'll crack.

tensioner

You have to put the wider idler arms in, otherwise the old one will gall the idler post and you are in for way more trouble. They have a bronze bushing as well. Plus the collar's and the 930 tensioners--thats what I did and that was over 12 years ago and no problems. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue