Thread: 118 driving light restoration question

118 driving light restoration question

Has anyone tried to separate the glass lens from the metal reflector of a 118 driving light with good results? Seems like there must be a way. I just bought a nice used example that is almost perfect except for some rust on the reflector. I would like to send the reflector out to be rechromed. Any tips would be appreciated

UPDATE: Empowered by the responses to the post I took a closer look and determined that I had the early rubber gasket version. Now its off to be "resilvered"
    Thanks Guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CarmelSkip; 11-25-2011 at 02:49 PM.

For no worries (but a little cash) send them to a reputable shop that re-silvers lights.

These two are some of the best, one in the USA, the other in England.

http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/headlight.php

http://www.vintage-headlamp-restoration.com/
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

The early type has a separate lens and reflector with a rubber sealing ring. The later type, that it seems you have, are sealed with a rock hard compound of some sorts. I have tried to separate a few of them with no luck. One example with a bad reflector, I cut away the reflector bit by bit with a saw to save the lens which was in good condition. Even that was quite difficult without cracking the lens. Maybe someone knows of a chemical that can dissolve or soften the sealing compound without damaging the reflector or lens?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim