Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Relocation to Smugglers Box

Battery Relocation to Smugglers Box

Has anyone experience with the Rennline battery-relocation-to-smugglers-box kit, and the Qdyssey 925?

I've relocated the battery to the smuggler's box in the past but made up my own 'battery box' in aluminium to locate/support the lightweight (680) Odyssey battery.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

I put a size 25 Optima in my heater box. I made a support for it out of aluminum sheet.

Then I made ballast boxes for the battery compartments because the handling suffered from the change in weight distribution.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Rennline makes top quality stuff. These pics were from their display at Hershey this year.

Name:  DSC08726small.JPG
Views: 875
Size:  157.2 KB

Name:  DSC08728small.JPG
Views: 750
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  DSC08731small.JPG
Views: 1095
Size:  164.6 KB

SV

simple install...

The 925 comes with (used to at least) a metal box and you can actual mount it independent from the battery- should consider running a lead to a more accessible area for charging and jumping if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My wee little brain says put the Batt as far FWD as passable..Thats where we need the weight.
    Yes in a crash..it might be ruined...bu other things would also be in the ruined box too.
    Might want a EZ to get to Batt shut off switch.with in EZ reach.

Quote Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
    My wee little brain says put the Batt as far FWD as passable..Thats where we need the weight.
    Yes in a crash..it might be ruined...bu other things would also be in the ruined box too.
    Might want a EZ to get to Batt shut off switch.with in EZ reach.
    My wee brain says the same thing. Others say the smugglers box decreases the polar moment of inertia, making the car turn better. I like the smugglers box just because it is tidy and out of the way. What else would you use the smugglers box for?
    - Josh
    - '72 911t
    - '81 euro SC

Smuggling...
    a gasolne powered heater.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

imho the rennline stuff is garish, complicated and $$$ but simple turnkey for the folks that need it. Poke around and there are battery outfits that sell boxes for the Odessy 680 that mount to a flat surface. I am 80% sure I am going into the smugglers box with my application and have been researching around. example

Out of curiosity I was looking for a polar moment equation to find out the % change of removing my two standard size lead acid batteries and adding a 15lbs PC680 oddesy 3.5 feet back...but I am too tired to force my brain to do math right now Will the car handle that much differently? So many people do this...but I haven't seen any before after driving reports. Flieger?

...oh, I just saw mike added ballast! eek.
    Last edited by combatic; 12-05-2011 at 12:42 AM.

I added a fuel cell so relocated the battery to the smugglers box in my race car. PC680 in an aluminum bracket mounted to the aft side of the box.

The car is definitely more controllable on the track with a full fuel tank-- the additional weight forward gives it more balance. I know the physics suggests that you want less weight at the ends, but the trouble is, you remove weight from the front, you have to remove weight from the back. So unless you converted to a 912 motor. . .
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen