Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: early Headlight colors

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar

early Headlight colors

got a question for the headlight police. What color are the early hella headlights, the bottom part just under the bulb. what would appear to be white in this pic..

i have seen several different colors on headlghts and am curious what is correct. I have seen white (as above), I have seen silver as a set that i just got, and i have seen grey in several pics and in person, and I have a pair i just received that are black (but i dont think this is right to be honest).

i restored the set in the pic above several years ago to white because thats what they were when i got them, and due to the deterioration and rust etc i had no reason to believe they werent originally white.. at the same time the silver set i have looks pretty darn authentic and the black pair, while probably painted are kind of rusty too..

so, what should they be? if i am going to restore these two sets what would be the best color to go with, and if you have any pics, that would be great.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Harry, based on a recommendation from Bob Tilton, he said the best color he had found was called 'stone grey'. I have done a couple sets in that color and to the best of my memory, and based on what original paint may be left in the buckets, I think it is an excellent match. I don't have a picture of the bucket, but I can take one tomorrow.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

thanks! what are you using, rustolium? I thought the white turned out great when i did it a few years back, but now i have seen other colors i want to not assume what is right but do what is right.

here is how the pair from the 1st post ended up when i was done.. im eager to do this again, as it was a fun project last time.

Harry Hoffman

harry

that looks great

i am doing a set soon as well

i had been toying with the colour and have a dull silver and also a grey primer for metal which also looks OK however neither were perfect.
    so I am also interested in what you come up with
    on another note ( and not tying to hijack your thread) my chrome rims have a few dents / nicks in them. I have been looking all over for a good pair (dont want to pay the drug money that Porsche wants for new ones here) and am even thinking of swapping the ones from a set of H4's. Have you run into similar problems in doing your restos? and does anyone have any other thoughts except a WTB post here or paying silly money for a new set
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

they have dings and dents and scratches.. i try to buff them out the best i can and gently push out any large dents with my thumbs but ultimately its the kicker. i dont take them to get rechromed either. I usually just try to stick with ones that are straight as possible, but also keep an eye out for single lights or parts so i can cobble together a great pair. one set i just got had a rock hole in the lense and a few very small dings from rocks (hardly noticeable), but otherwise very good cores. i just picked up a new lense on the samba for 20 bucks. so sometimes you have to mix and match.
    Harry Hoffman

early Headlight colors

Harry here are the pictures I promised, I don't know that these really show the color all that well. I took these without flash to try and avoid the lens reflection. Might have been better to do in sunlight, but was too late in the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

thanks! what kind of paint did you use?
    Harry Hoffman

Harry - for my last set I used Soldier Grey. Do a search and you will find the brand and code as I can't remember right now. It's a satin which is incorrect. I used Wurth flat clear to finish them off. Way more pleased with my most recent efforts.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

early Headlight colors

Oh great Bob, the truck just unloaded two pallets of stone grey today
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman912 View Post
    they have dings and dents and scratches.. i try to buff them out the best i can and gently push out any large dents with my thumbs but ultimately its the kicker. i dont take them to get rechromed either.
    thanks for the tip Harry
    I will have to massage mine a bit when i pull them apart
    I hope i can get them to look at least half as good as yours
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776