Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gt2 vs gt3

Gt2 vs gt3

After selling off a few of the long hoods 911
    the GT2 or GT3 are really looking pretty affordable right now
    and I think it is about time to get into the 21st C. with the water cooled 911

Anyone have any opinions about either car,

Anyone know production numbers for these Porsche

thanks!

Never driven one but this is what I gather from reading reviews:

The GT2RS is the fastest, but the GT3RS is acclaimed for having a better feel and overall driving experience. It also should get a few more laps out of a tank of fuel than the GT2RS. The 4.0 has more torque and means less shifting necessary but the difference is hard to tell between the 3.8 and the 4.0. The 4.0 does have some suspension tweaks like Heim joints that the normal RS does not have to my knowledge.

I gather you are looking at standard models. I hear that the above remarks also apply to normal GT2 and GT3. I also don't care for the looks of the 997GT2 so I know which I would choose: 997.2 GT3
    Last edited by Flieger; 11-30-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I owned an 04 GT3 for 4 months a few years back and loved it. It's the most capable car I have ever driven. A PURE drivers machine with no nannies whatsoever (save ABS). Sold it because I felt to reach the proper level of involvement, you needed to push the car well beyond legal limits to fully enjoy the absolute thrill. I ended up with a 964 that I am now taking to RS levels, and am really enjoying that. I do miss the GT3 at times, and lust after another one (white), and may someday get back into one.

As to the GT2, I did drive an 04 at Willow Springs (small track) and frankly didn't like it as much. It was a beast, but the GT3 gave me a more visceral experience that spoke to me.
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

ditto: Chris Tallon

I have an 04 and my HO is, that the three best 911's are the 67s (in the garage), the 73rs (not currently owned) and the gt3, for each visceral is the perfect description. They crave to be driven and of the three obviously the gt3 has the longest legs and fiercest power, which is a bit of a restriction for normal street driving. I have not tracked mine, but it does beg for it. My commute (Prius with GT3 NOT for plates, lol) is 60 miles round trip and I take this car every once in a while and it does abuse you a bit, but the smiles it gets.....

I drove the gt2 trying to decide, and while an amazingly fast car the agility wasn't the same for me, ymmv!

Good luck on the quest.
    59a, 64sc, 65/301, 69s, 89spdstr, 04gt3, 11gt3,
    11BxSpyder, 09R8, 66/21window, 73bronco, 72Tii
    ESR #1132

My neighbor commutes in his GT2RS. Loves it. Already has 33,000+ miles on it.

He's remarkably restrained, only opening it up on known safe-haven back roads. He does say it is hard though as he is constantly challenged by other drivers in all types of other cars, but he manages to ignore them.

I love driving the 997 GT3 but I'd much rather own a 996 GT3 ... it seemed more involving and less cumbersome.

The PCCBs are fun (eye-poppingly fun), but wholly unnecessary on either car unless extensive track duty was in the cards.

As for a GT2, well, I've never driven one but the Turbo 996 and 997 is already WAAAAAY too fast for public consumption; I feel "overkill" would apply to a GT2. Plus, Turbos get costly when sh!t starts to break.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

As the owner of a '07 GT3 I can tell you this, it's a awesome car. What I love most is that, it's a car that you are involved with. Very much like my '73. Lots of feedback through the wheel and the seat. It requires all of your attention and keeps you on your toes. It can be driven 'round town comfortably then hammered through a canyon road with total confidence. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver though. It's heavy clutch, notchy gearbox, stiff ride quality and ride height will wear you down. I think you'd soon regret it. As a weekend driver though I think you'd be very, very happy. No regrets here. Good luck.
    Rick
    Member #1607
    '07 997.1 GT3 Slate Gray Metallic
    '07 Audi S4 Avant Quattro Black
    '09 997.2 Carrera S Basalt Black

Sold:
    '05 Cayenne S
    '06 997 C4S

Quote Originally Posted by rditri View Post
    I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver though. It's heavy clutch, notchy gearbox, stiff ride quality and ride height will wear you down.
    This is what I meant by "cumbersome". The 996 felt similar but ... less.

BTW, I could feel my license being revoked every time I drove one of these.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Raj, thanks for the links - great ... I wish I'd had a camera running when I took my wife on the Nurburgring in the RS - she kept hitting me to make me slow me down ! The screaming came when running my speedster down the corkscrew at Laguna - my excuse was I had now idea where the track went so I had to keep up with the guy in front !!
    Nick D - Run Flat

1973 RHD 911 Carrera RS #0358 - Fun Car
    2016 Cayenne Diesel - Tow Car
    2017 Macan S - Better Half's Car

1955 356 Speedster SOLD
    1976 911 2.7 SOLD
    2006 Cayman S SOLD
    2006 Cayenne S SOLD
    2008 Carrera S F77 SOLD
    2011 Cayenne S TOTALLED (T-Boned but kept us safe)
    2015 Macan S SOLD
    2015 GT3 - Track Car
    2016 Cayenne SOLD
    2016 Cayenne GTS TOTALLED (Bloody big deer)

Still looking for 1st Edition Carrera RS book #358.

Life is way too short to drive boring cars.