Thread: YES, you CAN tow behind a 911

YES, you CAN tow behind a 911

Went an picked up my Seadoos from my brother....salt water corroded and gonna take a lot of elbow grease to clean up. But hey....free storage....just hope they freakin run. San Diego to Orange...just 80ish miles.

Averaged 63mph and 27mpg with my 3.6.

http://www.nbdgraphics.com
    73/83/93 RS clone, 3.6

Hey Mike,

Do you know the trailer weight, and tongue weight? What receiver are you using and where is it bolted up to?

tks,
    Eric

I'd be interested too.... I looked into this. I was thinking of towing extra tires, and supplies to autocross days. I didn't find a guy who makes a system for Porsches, but his prices was crazy... Over $600 I think. So now, I'm looking to flat-tow my 911 to autocross events, with a tow-bar, and carrying supplies in my SUV.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

All home made, 2 inch OD square tubing that replaced the SC bumper shocks. 1.75 inch OD square tubing that fit inside the 2 inch tube. The ID on the 2 inch was 1.80.

90 degree weld for a cross over, standard 2 inch ball welded to the cross over.

Electrical wired into the tailights with a standard flat 4 plug. The sleeved tubing has vertical pins that can be removed and the 1.75 slides out. The 2 inch stub tubing remains in place. It too can be removed but takes a little effort.

The 2 inch tubing has a welded cap on the end with a metric stud, 15mm and bolts to the frame. Similar to the shock construction. Fabricated straps bolt to the stock frame locations for lateral support.

It tried using the old shocks but wasn't satisfied with the result. So I went with the square tubing.

I probably have $125 in parts. I used a wire fed argon 110 Hobart welder.

The 2 inch was off the shelf, had to search for slip joint tubing. Depends on the ID of the 2 inch as what you need. Had to grind down the exterior weld seam on the 1.75 stock to get it to slide easily into the 2 inch tube.

I found the 1.75 tubing online and had it shipped to me as no one in No Nevada had it.
    Last edited by mikez; 12-12-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    http://www.nbdgraphics.com
    73/83/93 RS clone, 3.6