Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re: Transport and Customs question.

re: Transport and Customs question.

Hi ,
    I sort of got a bit carried away over the last couple of days and purchased another '73 911(although it been 27 years since i purchased the last)
    anyhow, its located in Jacksonville,Florida.
    Could anybody advise the procedure involved and recommend a good customs agent and shipping company to use and approx. time frame involved.
    I need it shipped to Sydney.
    THANKS
    Peter Kaufmann
    '73 911E TARGA 2.7L MFI
    '73 911T/S 2.7L CARBS
    04 SUBARU WRX (not standard)
    Last edited by kaufmanp; 12-12-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Peter,

Contact Ryan, he is going through this process at the moment.
    Tim Pritchard

1970 911S (resto underway) http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ge-1970S-resto
    1976 Carrera 3.0 Group Sc Race Car
    1969 911T Group Sb Race Car (Sold to a good home)

thanks tim

Peter

PM received and reply sent.

Watch out for the new modified rules. If in doubt, its stock...
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

I thought it would be helpful for future reference to post the info I provided to Peter here:

1, Most US shipping is out of the West Coast. The US shippers can usually arrange road pickup from other states.

2, You will need DOTARS import approval before shipping. The forms are here:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa...plication.aspx

The forms ask for your name, address and the car's VIN, year etc. From memory, you need to include a photo of the car, a copy of your receipt and a certified copy of your driver's licence or passport.

3, A US shipper will need the original US title in hand before shipping.

4, You need to have purchased the car before you can get import approval - so make sure it meets all the rules before sending the $$$'s. Anything made before 1989 can easily be imported. Post 89 and you will have to own it overseas for a year then bring it in as a Personal Import. There are some other rules for certain cars in the 'approved' list (GTR's etc).

Some recent rules changes appear to require any modifications to a pre 89 car to also have been made pre 89 (and be proven as such).

5, The container options in terms of higher risk/lower cost to lower risk/higher cost are

roll on/roll off
    consolidated container
    individual container

6, There are lots of little fees and charges (eg. AQIS, cleaning, unpacking etc etc) that can add up so ensure you get a good summary from potential shippers so you can compare apples to apples.

All in all, its not that hard a process - and its fun when the doors of the container swing open.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Thanks ,ryan.

regards

peter

What are you buying this time Ryan??

Ryna has summarised the process well indeed

I have done the individual container option several times always panic when i hear of container ships running aground and losing their loads
    so maybe you could contemplate marine insurance

Don't forget the GST on purchase price plus GST on all shipping charges etc and the long list of port charges.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Not me buying Clyde it was Peter, he bought this:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...che-911-a.html

Ok, I may have bought this...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for......early/page8
    Cheers, Ryan

thanks ryan,

yes, it was me that purchased this car.
    wasnt looking to purchase anything at the time as such,but this turned up complete with a few links form previous no sale.
    i remembered the car and couldnt resist going for it.
    i tried many times to purchase the car over the last week but the owner wanted to run it to the wire on e-bay.
    the owner was really fair told me what reserve was, told me about the other two bidders, one from switzerland and one from texas,so i waited till the last 20sec. and nailed it with an bid of $1k over the reserve, came back with, 'i wasnt the highest bidder", nailed it again with another $1k ,then came back with me being highest bidder "on reserve.".....? great ,i saved $2k,
    all things being equal , the car will be inspected at brumos in next few days. i will arrange for some photos from out the front somewhere ,then off to sydney in the next couple of weeks when i sort out the paperwork.

Peter Kaufmann
    '73 911e targa rebuilt as 2.7L MFI
    '73 911e coupe rebuilt as 2.7L CARBS
    04 SUBARU WRX not standard
    Last edited by kaufmanp; 12-13-2011 at 10:55 PM.

If importing form the US of A, I would allow $5k excluding GST. IE shipping, handling etc. Comments ??

Best option is to get a comprehensive quote including handling in AUS. No one will include AQIS costs because they are dependant on what happens here during the AQIS inspection, cleaning is about $250, so make sure car is spotless before shipping (not dirt or grass seeds anywhere).

MOST IMPORTANTLY.... DON'T PUT YOUR NEW CAR ON A SHIP AND THEN TRY TO GET DOTARS APPROVAL. DO THE PAPERWORK FIRST ! or you may be in for a few surprises.

PS Well done Peter it looks great. Interesting Ebaying ?

RC when's your Karman arriving ??
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car