Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire recommendation

Tire recommendation

Just bought a set of Fuchs 7x15s and need to put new rubber on them. There are not many tires available anymore in 205/60-15 or 215/60-15. Does anybody have a tip / recommendation where to look and what to buy?

Saw on TireRack that BF Goodrich (g-Force Sport) and Yokohama (AVS ES100) are the only brands still making Ultra High Summer Performance tires in these sizes. Anyone has experience with these tires on an early 911 Porsche? Wondering if other brands carrying 60-series tires are still available in Europe?

Any tips / recommendations highly appreciated.

Thx.
    Conny

If you want ultra high performance..... I run Kumho V710 tires on my 7x15 Fuchs. 225/50 on all 4 corners.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

If you don't want extremely low clearance of 50s (beware rocks, branches, steep curb cuts, and pot holes) you may want to reconsider Dave's recommendation. However if you don't have any of these obstacles, the Kuhmos might be an excellent choice. I moved from 60s to 55s and live in the boon docks. Large branches and rocks which roll onto the road but the fear of gawd in me and regularly rub the S spoiler on steep curb cuts and an occasional unlucky racoon. I have the Yoko S Drives (ultra hi-po summer tires) and even though they are plenty sticky, have a bit of sidewall flex compared to my dearly departed SO3s. Am still getting used to their rebound coming out of the corners. That said the S Drives have a bit higher consumer and the top Tire Rack test results.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm trying to avoid going to 50-series tires since I like the original 60-series look (I know that the selection in the 50-series is a lot bigger). I currently run 205/60-15 Bridgestones on my 6x15s and am also experiencing more sidewall flex compared to the Yokohamas 008s, which I ran before.

I heard that the BFGs have a pretty stiff sidewall - can anyone confirm?

Thx. much
    Conny

Tire recommendation

Goodyear Eagle GT in 195 X 65 is my choice, photo shows it on my 7R rim. It is also a V-rated tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Seems like we've had this discussion before. I like the Kuhmo ASX in 205/60 VR15 or 195/65 but they are only $10 or so cheaper than Ed's Goodyears at Tire Rack. You definitely want a V rated tire.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

tire recommendations

Magnus threw up this photo of his new tires. Yokohamas. They look like a nice profile.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Thanks everyone. I'll check out the 195/65-15 size. Also, Magnus' tires in the picture are Yokohama ADVAN A048s - they are specifically made for the track/competion.
    Cheers.
    Conny

Quote Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
    Magnus threw up this photo of his new tires. Yokohamas.
    I hope he's feeling better...
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

I've used both " BF Goodrich (g-Force Sport) and Yokohama (AVS ES100)" and they are very good for street and some auto-X work.

I was amazed how stable the AVS ES 100's were in light snow!! If you are using 7" Fuchs, you may experience some rubbing in the front while turning.
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200