Thread: FS: Leitz Roof Rack - Luggage and Ski

FS: Leitz Roof Rack - Luggage and Ski

sale pending

I have a rare original Leitz roof rack (not to be confused with AMCO). As most of you know, the Porsche factory used Lietz as their supplier for their luggage and ski racks. Since the pricing is all over the charts on these, I am posting this one for $1000.

It has the pads for the skis, but I am missing the straps. I have read in passing that the straps are made by a 356 guy. I have cleaned a lot of the chrome and you can see how well it cleaned up. The part that faces the front has a little more wear than the sides and rear. The feet were not chromed and I have not tried to polish them. The clamps on the feet need new felt/rubber grips so that you will not scratch your paint. None of the felt is currently there.

I will pack the feet seperately with all the hardware and I estimate that the package will weigh between 25-30 pounds. I do not have the dimensions of the packaging, but I would guess that it would be in the neighborhood of 48"x 42" x 6".

Please let me know what pictures are needed, if I did not cover it below.

Last edited by orange911; 12-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Careful.....

My rack is first pictured in the factory accessory booklet for 1967. I went to great lengths to make my rack, and also determine the years it was in use, and what details it needed to have. I made mine from an NOS original, which I still own. The rack I have made is shown being used for many years including up to the 1978 Coupe de Alps rally.

Here's the image from the factory accessory book in 1967. And an image of mine mounted. In addition the part number for my rack 901.801.010.01 is also in the 1965 accessory parts pricing book.

One of my racks is pictured on the green car.

Clearly my rack is the same as that first featured in the 1967 Accessory parts book.

Can you please provide documentation on your rack?

tks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Olin,

I felt I needed to be defensive of my rack as you said:

"This model predates the version that is being reproduced by Soterik. The one he has replicated I believe started around 69 or 70, So this would be more correct for a SWB car, but you can see that it also fits a LWB car."

Based on that comment, I hope you understand I felt the need to reply.

Thanks for making the change, but as we all like to get "into the details" on various subjects on this board, I think we need to look a bit further.

I happen to have an earlier accessories booklet that shows the first generation model, with the earlier part number you reference. I felt that my producing the model I did certainly covered at least half of the SWB years, and certainly based on the 1965 booklet and part number in the picture below that my rack is close to the details on the earlier rack.

As you can see from this picture (with part number) it shows that the earlier rack has the same brackets that attach to the car, and the same loops for the straps as mine. How mine differs from the one pictured is that mine has a double bar at each end which allows the rubber buffer fitting.

I'll leave it to others to determine how your rack differs from the 90180101000 rack (that you and I agree is an earlier rack part number) pictured below.

I think yours may be an even earlier rack, but I believe that earlier rack also used the same type of gutter mount that mine and the one pictured here does.

Perhaps my brackets might fit your rack?

regards,
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Soterik; 12-20-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Eric,

Thank you for posting the picture. As you can see from the picture you posted, the frame of the one you posted is identical to mine with the exception of the ski mounting pads (Which is identical to the ski rack on the right). The front and rear bars on mine and in this picture have 2 rings per bar and is a single bar as pictured. The later version like yours has 4 per bar and is doubled as you stated for accepting the pad.

Olin