Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: “Coppola” car

“Coppola” car

Hi to everyone!

I’m new of this forum, so please correct me if I'm wrong with some rules.

It’s more than a year that I'm looking for a 67 911S coupè sunroof or targa.
    Now I've found in Germany the “Coppola” car. I have to fix an appointment with the seller at the beginning of January to see the car.
    I tryed to search in the forum some information, but the old thread about this car is closed.

So I’d like to have more information about this car before seeing it.

Thanks to all

Schiseidu

John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=coppola
    Don't know what happened, but must have been interesting....

Thanks!

Now the asked price is 79k € ( ~103k$)...So I will check the receipts to understand what kind of works have been done on the car to reach that price!

I just went back and read the linked thread, I guess I missed a throw down. Would you mind posting some pictures of this car. My curiosity has gotten the better of me.
    Rob Abbott

I was waiting for someone else to remember. That car/discussion is one of the great sh-t shows of the cars for sale section, maybe the Mother of all

Don

I remember the car's main flaw was that it was repainted from Sand beige to black and the black headliner. Here are some pictures:
    7D40_3.JPG
    7F85_3.JPG
    8480_3.JPG
    DSC_0108-1.jpg
    DSC_0131.jpg
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

I found this sales advert for the car:

Offered here is a really nice example of the first year for the 911 S model. These were very special, expensive cars when they were new. Some, like this one have survived. Most however succumbed to rust, neglect or accidents many years ago. This particular car was sold in March of 1967 by Ralph Cutright Volkswagen in Santa Monica, CA to the filmmaker Francis Coppola. He was apparently flush from his first mainstream film success 1966s You’re a Big Boy Now. Coppola owned the car until 1973. Since that time, with the exception of two short stints in Oregon the car has spent its entire life in California. The S still wears its original black California plate. I have the books, registrations going way back, and lots of receipts. NUMBERS: Chassis: 308141S Both VIN tags, and the stamping above the tank are accounted for. Engine: 961819 This engine is original to the chassis. The number is recorded in the service book, and I also have a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche. The transmission was replaced at some point and is not the original to the car. BODY: The car received a windows out, bare metal repaint in 1997. The finish is truly exceptional. The sides are dead straight, and the paint has a deep reflective gloss. Even under critical fluorescent light, the paint stands up. The color of the car was changed at this time from 6605 bahama yellow to 6609 black. Since the front trunk and engine compartment on short wheel base 911s are always black regardless of the exterior color, changes are quite a bit easier. The result of this work speaks for itself; the car is stunning in black. The car has no rust. The floors are some of the best I've seen, and still have the horse hair matting under the carpet. There is no evidence of repaired damage on the front inner fenders, or in the rear. The front suspension pan is excellent. When I got the car the old low tech under seal was partially missing and peeling away. I had the underside cleaned, prepared and re sealed. The rockers, jack points, and torsion tube are excellent, and show no signs of repair. All of the body rubber was replaced in '97 as well. The side window chrome was not re-done, and is really the only thing the car needs cosmetically in my opinion. The turn signal lenses are very nice. The sunroof seals have been replaced, and the cables done in '95. The car has a very nice OE front hood badge. INTERIOR: The seats have been recovered using correct wool hounds tooth fabric. The headliner, carpet and dashboard were re-done in '97 when the car was painted. The door panels are originals. They are quite nice for their age, but not perfect. The wood steering wheel (a no cost option on the S) was re-done at some point, but needs to be done again properly. The instruments are original, and very nice. All of the unique S interior trim is accounted for. ELECTRICAL: With the exception of the gas aux. heater and the clock everything works. The directionals cancel properly, the interior lights work, and the instruments, etc. MECHANICAL'S: As I mentioned before, the car has its original 901/02 S motor still in place. It also has the unique Weber IDS carburetors. The engine runs really well, and hardly leaks at all. In a couple days of sitting it only drops a quarter size spot of oil. The engine does not smoke, even under hard accel or decel and is mechanically very quiet. The heat exchangers are excellent, the muffler OK. I performed a leak down test and was very happy with the following results: 1(4%) 6(3%) 2(4%) 4 (3%) 3(3%) 5(4%). It's obvious looking at the sealer between the case halves that the engine has been completely apart. However, I do not have a receipt for this work. Based upon visual inspection, the leak down, total mileage, and the overall fitness of the engine I'm sure it was rebuilt at one point. I'm satisfied, but I do have all the names of the previous owners. One could try and track these guys down to get more history. The engine was recently serviced and the valves adjusted. The transmission was rebuilt approximately 5,000 miles ago. It shifts well and the clutch feels good. The dampers feel good. Most of the suspension rubber bushings look pretty old, but are holding together. The car is shod with an ancient set of Michelin's. While it's fun to slide around, they really need to be replaced. The S still has all five 4.5" Fuchs alloy wheels. One of the previous owners must have lost or kept the toolkit (straight to old car hell). I do have the jack and a lug wrench. Overall the car drives quite well. If you haven't experienced the shriek of an S motor on cam, you are in for a treat. These cars aren't that fast by modern standards, but the sounds and sensations are phenomenal.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Sure looks like a car I would be proud to own. Congratulations to the new owner.
    Rob Abbott

I'll just say that it's a good car, and leave it at that.

I saw it before "restoration" in California and after restoration in Oregon.

It's been owned by 3 members of this board, that includes a former member that is no longer with us.

If it could be bought "right", I'd own the car...

E