Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1964 - 1965 911 - Questions about Changes to Early Production Cars

1964 - 1965 911 - Questions about Changes to Early Production Cars

All
    I am in the early stages of a very early 911 (#300238)[edited 1/1/12] project. I believe the car was produced in early January 1965, but it appears to me to have several features of cars that were produced in calandar 1964, which makes sense I guess. Either way, I assume 300238 to be a MY 1965 car. Perhaps the most interesting thing for me regarding this project will be learning about the running changes made to the 911 as Porsche ramped-up production in 1965. I already own #302396 which was produced later in 1965 as a MY 1966. Already, the small differences between these cars, produced only a few months apart, are becoming very apparent. My goal with the car is to preserve as many of the features that are unique - within reason, I suppose. For me to do this I will need to learn more about these cars and the changes made over time. So any help you could provide, either by postings, PMs, or steering me to other sources, will be greatly appreciated.
    ds

Lets start with a few simple questions and go from there...

WINDOW FRAMES
    The top of the driver side window frame on #238 is mounted with two small chrome screws. The right side has the more customary 3 larger screws, just like the frames on 2396. Hopefully the pictures show the difference. When do we think that Porsche stopped using the two screw frame?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by rstrahota; 02-27-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: edited 1/2/12 fo correct chassis number to 300238

Early 911 Window Cranks

Related to the question on door frames, the window crank on 300238's drivers door was held on with a pin (left side in picture below) while the right side has the more conventional splines cut into both the male and female ends - obviously, a far more durable solution than the pins.
    Any clues on when the production cars switched over to the new design? (I suspect that my passenger door may well have been relpaced, but I can't be certain at this point.)

ds
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ds,

#301111 has three screws and window cranks without the pin. The doors should have the vin # stamped inside.

Keep the questions coming.

John
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 53 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 13 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Quote Originally Posted by John Straub View Post
    ds,

#301111 has three screws and window cranks without the pin. The doors should have the vin # stamped inside.

John
    Thanks, John.
    We have narrowed the change for the window cranks and the window frames already!
    Plenty more coming...
    Ds

vin stamp on doors - location?

Quote Originally Posted by John Straub View Post
    ds,

John

John

I cannot seems to locate any vin # stampings on the door. I have the panels off, so could you please give me more detail on where these numbers might be located?

thanks, ds

The number you can find near the winder 'hole'. There some pictures posted on this board.

BTW your R door might not be the original since the receiver is 67? and up. And I think in order to install the right lock mechanism the door 'hole' has at least to be altered.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    The number you can find near the winder 'hole'. There some pictures posted on this board.

BTW your R door might not be the original since the receiver is 67? and up. And I think in order to install the right lock mechanism the door 'hole' has at least to be altered.

Richard
    Thanks, Richard.
    ds

Dick, if this effort is anything like your green car the results should be outstanding when done. (Seeing your green car at the Club Race years ago was the inspiration for my current Irish Green restoration!)

Anyway, in terms of the door pins, there ought to be a date code stamped into the latch mechanism. Of course you have the early, kidney-shaped latch, instead of the mitten-shaped one. However, the latch receiver I see in the photo is definitely a 67- piece, so check the date code for sure.

If you will kindly PM me your email I will send you the photos of 300318 which was up here a while back. Got sold and I think Freisinger was trying to flip it.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Hi,
    In case a pic helps. These are from a 65 produced car I am working on right now. The date range of the parts is amazing. It has some 11/64 parts all the way up to 5/65.
    On both doors

and the engine lid

HTH
    Alan

Alan is this car 301712 that was offered in Norway? Will you bring it back to stock?

Regards

Richard