Thread: FS - Special TRE Custom Fuel Tank

FS - Special TRE Custom Fuel Tank

I had TRE build this custom fuel tank for my 73 RSR (clone) built on a 70 tub. It was never installed. It is anodized aluminum, baffled, side fill, and ready to bolt into your early car. It's a clever design that actually uses a false bottom to look like a stock ribbed bottom, but of course with much greater capacity. I believe it is about 22 gallons. Seems the unwritten rule is 50% cost of new, but this is new....how about 50% savings anyway, or $750 you pick up at TRE (Los Angeles, CA)? John
    Attached Images Attached Images

can you post a pick of the bottom? how much does it weigh?

Is there a bladder inside?
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

Man, you guys are fast. I will get in touch with Dave B. tomorrow and get the details. I do know it is not a bladder, but rather baffled to prevent starvation. It was a no expense spared commission build. My car was getting about 5 mpg with the 3.8 slide motor and I was running with the stock 70 T tank (11 gallons). I had to stop for fuel about every 50 miles...AND it would starve in the turns which was quite dangerous. Let me see what other pictures I have on file and I will post up pics.

I used to run my '71T tank and get starvation around half a tank at the track, I'm now running a later SC tank.

Anyway, I am looking for a true fuel cell. Nonetheless, that is a *very* cool piece...good luck with the sale.
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

Here are a couple more pics. It was mocked up in the car shown (not my car...). All you guys probably know Dave B anyway, just give him a call at TRE and you can get the skinny if interested. This all came about as I bought a plastic RS 100L tank and it had a slow leak in one of the underside ribs. Of course it did, the RS plastic tanks hang down below the car unprotected and that's what happens to ALL of them sooner or later, especially lowered cars. Dave's ingenious design protects the bottom of the tank by keeping it higher in the chassis (and aluminum). To preserve the "look" of the original design he builds a false bottom out of fiberglass so it looks like the original ribbed bottom. Anyway, that's what I know about the project...
    Last edited by Zuluracerx; 01-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Well, I have a 17 gallon Fuel Safe cell for sale as well. I am in the process of parting out my V3 race car (78 SC race car), different project altogether...lol have to many pokers in the fire. Those suckers are expensive as you know and this is a really nice one (new sponges, etc.) It's coming out of this car, along with everything else if there is anything else you might be looking for. John

jmweboffset@mac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todsimpson View Post
    I used to run my '71T tank and get starvation around half a tank at the track, I'm now running a later SC tank.

Anyway, I am looking for a true fuel cell. Nonetheless, that is a *very* cool piece...good luck with the sale.

OK, sent you an email on the cell, thanks.
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

The TRE tank is sold pending funds. Thanks for look'n!

Funds Received, tank is sold.