Thread: What DVD is worth buying for early Porsches

What DVD is worth buying for early Porsches

Hello,

Could I have your thoughts on what DVD is worth buying for early 911 Porsches,
    I'm looking for a DVD which has some history, restorations and the showing of different models etc.

I already have 101 Porsches,

Thanks for your help,

Lee D

This will probably produce anguished howls of protest and indignation by a great many self-appointed purists, but for a quick, relatively easy to obtain 1-hour long and fairly comprehensive visual history of the Marque with perfectly good, English-language commentary and some good examples of the cars from the very first to the advent of the water-cooled road cars I would recommend Alain de Cadenet's Porsche DVD from his "Victory by Design" Series, which also includes most other marques of interest to the typical Early S Registry member, such as Ferrari, Maserati, Aston-Martin, Lotus, Alfa, etc.

All the episodes from this series were aired on the Speed Channel ( Speedvision back then) a few years ago and are still available for purchase on DVDs, I'm sure.

There is also a series of 5 short films on the building of 356s at Zuffenhausen, ( all circa late '50s -early '60s would be my guess ) about 5-8 minutes each, which you should be able to download onto your hard drive and you should be able to find them by visiting the 356 site and using their search feature. Similar links also exist to the building and production of 911s, but I don't recall seeing them on this site.

In the General Info section of this site there are two excellent threads, "Old Rally Photos, Porsche 911" started by Thomas Lundeval, and "Random Historical Porsche Racing Pics" started by Curt Egerer.

Good luck,

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Victory by Design is great. I also like In-Car 956, Le Mans, and a few others like "Hay Bales and Asphalt".

search "Porsche: Made by Hand" and "Porsche: One for the Road" on Youtube.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I would highly recommend this DVD, it is for me the best documentary that shows the passion we have for these cars:

http://www.100porschesandme.com/

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Thank you for your comments,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    In-Car 956
    ^^^^^^^ +1!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by Milou View Post
    I would highly recommend this DVD, it is for me the best documentary that shows the passion we have for these cars:

http://www.100porschesandme.com/
    Milou,
    That looks really interesting! I just ordered one.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0u_sWeqDwc

Cut from Walter Rohrl in 911ST DVD... Classic.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Agree with Milou's recommendation.

I purchased the DVD in '08 through Total 911. As I recall, the DVD is ‘PAL’ format and wouldn't play in my DVD player. It would only work in my PC's DVD player.
    Early S Registry #2011

2013 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 550-2