Thread: Vintage/historic specification for early 911 race cars in the USA

Vintage/historic specification for early 911 race cars in the USA

I run a 69 911E in a historic race series in Australia for production sports cars (known as historic group S). This group allows non-turbo, 2 door sports cars to run in three age groups - roughly 50's (Sa), 60's (Sb) and 70's (Sc). Good racing and a diverse grid with lots of British/Italian marques.

Period race history is not required for group S and modifications are very limited (eg. single plug, steel panels, stock induction, stock wheel sizes). All but one other historic race group in Australia requires period race history and strictly period spec.

I'm currently helping some friends find suitable cars - specifically 911's up to 1969. Most of the cars I see advertised in the USA as historic or vintage race specification are more modified than what is allowed here - eg. twin plug, fibreglass panels, bigger capacity engines, 7" and wider wheels.

Can anyone shed some light on the various US groupings/sanctioning bodies and what they do/don't allow? I'm hoping this will make the process easier when reviewing ads that list a logbook/sanctioning body/class etc

Ps. Here is a pic of my mount (we all love pics...)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Hi Ryan,

Sounds like you have regs based on big smiles rather than big pockets and/or egos. Of the groups I'm familiar with I would say that CSRG in Northern CA would be the most period correct. HMSA also aims in that direction. On the other end of the scale SVRA and VARA tend to have a more 'run what ya brung' attitude as far as modifications, tires, etc. not being judgemental, just saying. Of course, you can still find cars like you are looking for running in any vintage association. Hope this helps a bit.

Best regards,

Patrick

Thanks Patrick.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus