Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Momo solid hubs

Early Momo solid hubs

I mentioned in an advert I placed in the Classifieds last week that I had a spare turnsignal cancelling ring that I would include with the solid '230' hub I was selling.

On digging out the cancelling ring & offering it up to the hub, I was surprised to find that it wasn't a totally satisfactory fit - the relevant hole in the ring didn't line up with the horn contact.

Since I had another Momo solid hub c/w spring-loaded horn contact & cancelling ring (attached to my Momo Monza steering wheel ) I decided to compare the two hubs.

On removing the wheel from the hub, the first thing that I noticed was that this hub was stamped '7000' rather than '230' :

Name:  solid hub 007.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  solid hub 008.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  60.2 KB

I had forgotten this - & don't remember seeing another '7000' solid hub - but it is definitely for an early 911 as I had it fitted to my last '73 911E which i sold last summer.

Here's part of an old advert for Momo wheels & hubs:

Name:  7000 solid hub.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  31.7 KB

First thing to notice is that this hub seems to be much nicer finished than the 230 hub - look at the surface finish:

Name:  solid hub 003.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  solid hub 004.jpg
Size:  92.3 KB
    Last edited by andyjboy; 01-10-2012 at 04:50 AM.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

In this shot, the 7000 version is on the left:

Name:  solid hub 001.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  94.0 KB

The 230 version is about 5mm deeper than the 7000:

Name:  solid hub 009.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  36.2 KB

When offering up a std cancelling ring, here's how it fits on the 7000 hub:

Name:  solid hub 012.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  71.6 KB

- notice that it aligns with the horn contact hole perfectly:

Name:  solid hub 013.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  68.6 KB

whereas, when placed on the 230 hub :

Name:  solid hub 014.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  74.1 KB
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

see how the same hole doesn't line up:

Name:  solid hub 015.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  69.5 KB

So, finally, a few pictures of the 7000 hub c/w spring-loaded horn contact & cancelling ring:

Name:  solid hub 016.jpg
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  solid hub 017.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  solid hub 018.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  57.8 KB

I would be interested in seeing/hearing about other members' early Momo solid hubs ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Andy, that's a very interesting discovery. I've never seen any reference to the 7000 Momo hub. I remember hearing of problems fitting a 230 hub to '66 and earlier cars; when attached, the hub would bind and prevent the wheel from turning. I have no idea but could it be that the 7000 hub would eliminate this issue? John Fusco, are you there?
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Andy, great info and photos regarding these two types of solid Momo hubs. I have a solid Momo 230 hub that's missing the horn cancelling ring and the earth pin. So a standard Porsche cancelling ring does not fit a Momo 230 hub, was there a special one that came with the hubs when purchased new? How obtainable are these in that case today, do you know?

I should have read things a little more carefully because I have recently fitted what I had believed was a standard Porsche cancel ring to a 230 solid hub and it fit perfectly. Was it truly a standard cancel ring? That is the question.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

That's what I always thought Mark - & that's why I was surprised when I attempted to fit one to this '230' solid hub only to find it didn't fit perfectly.

I've had several solid Momo hubs in the past few years but they've always come with cancelling rings fitted - which I'd assumed were std Porsche rings.

Anyone else got a solid '230' hub handy ?
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Call out NickP -he and I have a few of these, and there's one thats particularly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    That's what I always thought Mark - & that's why I was surprised when I attempted to fit one to this '230' solid hub only to find it didn't fit perfectly.

I've had several solid Momo hubs in the past few years but they've always come with cancelling rings fitted - which I'd assumed were std Porsche rings.

Anyone else got a solid '230' hub handy ?
    I have a bunch of solid hubs floating around and I'm in the process of swapping steering wheels between cars. I'll look tomorrow and see what I can wrangle.

This is a very interesting bit of info, Andy. Nice one!
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

The Momo 230's David and I have (or had) are all 230's and the cancel rings have all fit just fine. I am certain that the cancel rings are Porsche rings as I took one off my original Porsche steering wheel and it fit perfect. From my memory it's the Nardi hubs that need some massaging of the hole to clear the horn pin.

I have not seen or heard of a Momo 7000, but I'm a noob compared to Morrissey and David Glenn. Stump either of those dude and you've done something.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST