Thread: Installation of Exhaust Straps

Installation of Exhaust Straps

Hello,

Has anyone out this got some detailed pictures of how the two exhaust straps are installed to a 71t engine,
    I still have the old type exchangers with the cross-over pipe installed at the moment but am planning to change
    to SSI's shortly.. I need to make sure my new silencer does not fall off while driving it M-Sport next month.

I'm sure its basic but want to make sure I do it correctly....

Thanks Lee

Lee, the straps are installed with the bolts facing towards the front of the car with the bolts at about 5:00 when viewed from the side. This is so the bolts don't catch on the license panel when dropping the engine. And your 71 heat exchangers do not have a cross over.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Lee, the straps are installed with the bolts facing towards the front of the car with the bolts at about 5:00 when viewed from the side. This is so the bolts don't catch on the license panel when dropping the engine. And your 71 heat exchangers do not have a cross over.
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info, my car is a 69t with a 71t engine and it has a pipe either side about 2ft long going from the exchangers to the silencer, would you say there from the original 69t engine?
    they have a slight bent in them.
    Appreciate your help,

Lee

Yes, that sure sounds like original style heat exchangers.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes, that sure sounds like original style heat exchangers.
    Thanks Ed, I'm changing to SSI's shortly are the cross-overs worth selling to a person who wants to keep the original looks,
    I would like to sell but I have no idea what there worth...

can anyone out there advise what there worth, I had them blasted a few months back and sprayed them with heat proof paint...
    the exchangers look a little tired but may be salvagable.

Cheers...Lee

Lee, not to keep harping on this, but your heat exchangers don't have a cross over. That didn't start until 75 when catalytic converters became required in California. The cross over was necessary to get all the exhaust to one side to go through the converter. The muffler had only one inlet. Since most everyone prefers the freer flowing earlier system with the two inlet muffler, there won't be much interest for a cross over type system, if in fact someone had put that on your earlier engine.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks ed guess I'm showing my inexperience in porsche cars,
    Much appreciated,

Lee

Not to worry Lee, we all had to learn this stuff. Can you post a picture of the system on your car?
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Not to worry Lee, we all had to learn this stuff. Can you post a picture of the system on your car?
    Hi Ed, I away working in Turkey at the moment but will do when I get back home, your help is most appreciated,

Lee