Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best battery?

Best battery?

We are nearly finished with the restoration of a '68S SWT and down to the small, last minute details...what is the best, nearest to original in size, look, etc. battery? Thanks for the help and insight.
    John Hodgson

in my 67 911 i have been using a bci group 22 in a gel cell,replace every four years never a problem
    registry #2072

gel or AGM construction on the battery... they are maintainance free... do not gas much and nothing to spill... will reduce corrosion around the battery box

a standard flooded cel ( wet ) will get the job done, reasonable cost, but they need water, they will gas especially near the end of their life cycle, and spills are possible ( just refer to all the photos that show corrosion around the battery boxes or your own restoration) if you have a 100 point car in a major event you can get a period correct battery at that time.

agree, I've been running a gel cell designed for a miata, easy fit, no problems....
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    my red top optima has been bulletproof for 7 years. just disconnect in winter and reconnect in spring... i dont even have it on a trickle charger and it fires right up.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

I still like Interstate model C911 for the two battery system. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    agree, I've been running a gel cell designed for a miata, easy fit, no problems....
    Where'd you get this Lewis? And you use two in the stock locations right?
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

each of my 3 cars had been reduced to single batteries, so I just did one....I mail ordered....google 'miata westco battery'

+/- $100 each, looks like

http://www.batteryweb.com/mazda-miata-batteries.cfm

can get you the Deka for $102, free shipping....the only thing is they are less deep than the interstate, so I took a couple of chunks of rigid foam insulation and stuffed it behind the battery for a tight fit with factory hardware.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    I still like Interstate model C911 for the two battery system. Chris
    there is no need to go with 2 batteries, battery technology has improved the available power over the years...the second battery adds nothing except expense... as already mentioned get gel or AGM construction ( maintainence free ) to avoid corrosion with the limited or no venting

Quote Originally Posted by johnchodgson View Post
    We are nearly finished with the restoration of a '68S SWT and down to the small, last minute details...what is the best, nearest to original in size, look, etc. battery? Thanks for the help and insight.
    John Hodgson
    I don't want to see John or anyone else side tracked too much. He has a 68 with a single battery not to be confused with the 69-73 LWB 2-battery system.
    Single battery cars don't have as much fittment problems as the enclosed 2-battery system does.
    I see Jim suggested a group 22. Does anyone else have a good fit suggestion? I am looking for a SWB car battery also.
    Maybe a gel with a cloaking cover? Like the 356 guys..
    H