Thread: What options on original 1973 steering wheel cover

What options on original 1973 steering wheel cover

Hi,

I have an original 400 mm 1970 911S steering wheel that I intend to install in my 1973 911E targa with comfort pack. It needs to be re-upholstered as the leather is in a really bad condition. Is it ok to use a simple leather cover, e.g. as supplied by Alan Gunn, or did the steering wheels from this period actually have thicker grip with felt, foam or similar underneath the leather? Could a 1973 steering wheel look exactly the same as a 1969?

The literature on this topic is little consistent, so period photos of S steering wheels as supplied by Porsche would be welcome to remove any doubt.

Best regards,

Einar Irgens

I have tried a forum search, but can not find the info I need. Right now I am searching an oversize cover to apply on top of the worn original. Does anybody know weather Porsche supplied steering wheels with two layers of leather for some of their models or as an option?

member #1515
    73 was vinyl over foam.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 09:57 AM
  2. FS: 1973 Porsche 911 steering column cover 69-73
    By trunos73rs in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM
  3. Original Radio Options for 1973 911E