Thread: Lexan rear window advise

Lexan rear window advise

I have a '67 911 race car that I would like to put a lexan rear window in.
    I want to use the standard rubber and trim strip - so I'm looking for a formed, OEM size window.

Has anyone found a source for a high quality piece that doesn't require a lot of hand work to get to fit properly?

I intend on using two aluminum retaining strips so a 1/8" thick window would be preferable.

Thanks for any advise you can offer,
    Steve

Steve,

I simply traced my original screen onto lexan, cut it out, and then had it reinstalled with the original rubber and trim strip. The lexan takes up the natural curve of the original glass very well.

I don't think you need the retaining strips. I've got 2 years of circuit racing on one car (one window open) and 4 or 5 years of rallying on another (both windows open) with no problems.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

I used lexan non formed rear window. I had some problem in installing it and from my experience I can tell you that if the suspensions are quite stiff, the two retaining strips are necessary.

regards

G.

In terms of stiffness, I have 23/31mm torsion bars in the circuit car and 22/30mm in the rally car - both cars have full roll cages.

Clamp the lexan to the glass whilst you trace. It will curve when installed and match the original glass dimensions. Installation is no different from installing the glass with the factory seals.

I have seen numerous race and rally cars without the strips and never seen one blow out.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

how thin is the lexan you have used?

Thickness is about the same as the original glass.
    Cheers, Ryan

Here is my 67S Race car with a Lexan rear window.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200

You do need the strips. I have had mine blow out in case of spins. Heck, I had the windshield blowout (lexan) - see video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtblpNXE1w
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill