Thread: Magnum Opus Rally

Magnum Opus Rally

So as if I don't have enough irons in the fire already , I'm co-organizer of the 2012 Magnum Opus Rally here in Michigan.

This event hasn't been run in several years and we've decided to resurrect it. The early interest from both competitors, volunteers and the locals in Newberry MI (rally headquarters) has been extremely strong. This is a 1-day (with a few night stages) gravel stage rally on April 21 sanctioned by Rally America. The date could bring anything from 70deg and sunny to 20deg and snow given the Upper Peninsula location. We laid out the stages and transit routes a couple months ago, already have the route book pretty much put together and we got our road-use permissions from the county this week. I can't divulge any info about the stages but I will say that we have a couple of awesome stages and a very cool surprise in store for the competitors on another stage ....

We're in this for the long haul and will strongly encourage historic/vintage rally cars to compete, hopefully kicking off a trend in this country similar to what is done in Europe where the early 911s are so popular. We and the organizers of Sno*Drift and LSPR are also kicking around the idea of a Michigan Triple Crown Championship with cumulative points scored from the 3 rallies.

Only 3 months away!

Last edited by CurtEgerer; 01-17-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Curt what type of safty cage is required. Any conisdertion given for the vintage /historic class. I have a couple of 911's and a 2002 sitting collecting dust or should I say rust at the moment.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Bill - there's really not much leeway on the cage. Hans is mandatory. The only way you could get approval for an older-style cage is if the car is log-booked. Even then, there would be some mods needed. They used to allow 1.5" main tubes. Now it's 1.75". My Audi has 1.5"x 0.095" but I was told if I added the A-pillar diagonal reinforcement bars and a few other things I could get it approved (my car is log-booked). I think it's almost on a case-by-case basis. OTOH, after witnessing a couple of big tree impacts recently, I'm not so sure I would run with anything short of a current cage and Hans even if I could

The cage is the biggest hurdle/expense to getting these older cars back in the game. Sure would be cool to see some 911s running out there again!

FIA-RA Roll Cage.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 01-18-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Hey Curt I was hopeing there would be a lower/slower class. Like the Targa Newfoundland dose. entry leval to get your foot in the door get some experiance and move up in classes and refit the car as ya go. Hard to find an insurance company that will insure a car with a full weld in rollcage. Iam sure you have some insite on this with the Quatro and the VW. Will try to catch up with you Wensday night. Cornpanzer sorry about the offhand there. Just trying to get to provoke you into going north of the state line. I know its cold up here .
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

The rally is this Saturday. We've got 25 teams entered - a very strong field for a regional event. If anybody wants to follow along in cyberspace, we're going to attempt to do live scoring throughout the day. We're in the remote northern woods, so it could be a bit sketchy. Racing begins at 12:30 and will continue until around midnight -1am (EST).

Go here and click on the Heuer Master Timer : Magnum Opus Rally Website

Last edited by CurtEgerer; 04-18-2012 at 07:43 PM.

The rally was a huge success with both competitors and the community. The county road commission and law enforcement were so impressed with the operation of the rally, they've agreed to clear whatever roads we need for next years event. That will allow us to expand to a 2-day event. Here's a brief story on the event:

Krolikowski's Win Magnum Opus Rally

The winners:

Krolikowski+Winner+Magnum+Opus+2012.jpg

A crowd favorite, the Ford Sierra Pikes Peak Special:

DSC_1756.JPG

Fresh from their victory at Rally Mexico, the Huebbe Brothers:

DSC_1750.JPG

Future star Mason Moyle in a Super Production 2011 WRX STi:

DSC_1744.JPG

Group 2 Datsun 510 at the Super Special Stage (an old dirt track!):

DSC_1721.JPG

It took 150 volunteer workers to pull this off. These rallies are a logistical Rubik's Cube. Luckily, many of the workers were veterans of the Sno*Drift and LSPR rallies.

Tech inspection on Friday:
    DSC_1709.jpg

Bill W., Clerk of the Course kept everything running smoothly for us! He flew to Oregon afterward to help with Oregon Trail Rally:
    DSC_1727.jpg

Mason Moyle in the STi on the Super Special:
    DSC_1733.jpg

A Gen II Mazda RX7:
    DSC_1731.jpg

Winners Henry & Cindy Krolikowski were 'rumored' to hit 130MPH on the Pike Lake Stage
    DSC_1743.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 04-23-2012 at 06:10 PM.