Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early 911S Transport Recommendations

Early 911S Transport Recommendations

Greetings!

I am loading up from Marin, CA and moving down to the South Bay/LA area. I have owned my 67'S for 15 years but the longest trip I have taken is down to Monterey and back for the historics many years ago. I am a bit skiddish to make the drive and risk a rock shooting out from a truck and hitting the car, windshield, This happens to me almost every time I made the trip in my daily driver. I had the car totally restored (thanks Freddie) a year ago, otherwise the decsion would be easy - DRIVE IT

Another option would be to ship in enclosed transport, but I am also a bit nervous about that as well. Cost is around $600. Has anybody done this before and have a good reliable transport company do a good job and deliver on time?

Final option would be to install a hitch to my Cayenne and rent a trailer but this seems like a huge and expensive pain and have never towed anything before.

Any advise and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

You'll regret it... moving from Marin, I mean ;-) I know I do !

Transport is no biggie.. I had great service with "Reliable", Intercity is also good, stay with the famous ones that do car shows and you'll be OK. You could do the trailer thing. I did that with a 356 behind a huge Uhaul moving truck, that was a "fun" drive, but with a cayenne it'd be easier... It'd make for a cool pictures, too...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Fly me out and I will drive it down for you for free. Just pay for the air fare and give me a couch for a day or two and feed me in n out burgers. :P
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

trucking with known and insured truck companies r generally okay. maybe some clear plastic film protection on windscreen and front edges of the car will minimize risk from rock chip.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

member #1515
    Please drive your car. That is a great trip and maybe you'll find out why that is such a great car. I just can't get the philosophy of fixing these cars up perfectly and then staring at them in the garage, and I say that with all respect.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Hey Josh,

Drive it.... that's some great roads down Hwy 101 and Hwy 1. I think we would all suggest going down through the city, and then running down 280(?) to San Jose, and then down 101 to Salinas, cut across 68 driving past Laguna Seca to Hwy 1, and then continue down from there. Do it at the crack of dawn on a Sunday. Start when it's dark so that it's just starting to get light as you hit Salinas and cut across 68.

I think that drive from those 2 points is probably one of the best drives you could have in your car, and you'll remember it forever. By the time you reach Laguna Seca you'll realize how much better the car gets when driven.

BTW, I forgot, is that Margarets old car you have?

Eric

Yes it just seems like the drive could be right (if the weather is good) and I can get the rest of the move in order. I do have an old early bra for the front. Was thinking that I could take some nice pictures along the way as well. Going to give it a try I think in the next couple of weeks and maybe have a friend follow behind.... Anybody up for an early 911S Nor Cal to So Cal trip ;-)?

Eric - no mine is not Margaret's S but it is related :-). After she sold it, I saw it up for sale on ebay many years ago and then never saw it again. That car was built by Peter Sorenson @ PBR. I have some pics of that car somewhere.

Whats that Jay Leno line... "I like to restore a car to 100 Points, then drive it down to 70".

I say drive it, whats the point in restoring a car, selling it for less than the restoration and having someone else enjoy it? Life is tragically, short squeeze out every last moment.
    Rob Abbott

[QUOTE=Soterik;552549]Hey Josh,

Drive it.... that's some great roads down Hwy 101 and Hwy 1. I think we would all suggest going down through the city, and then running down 280(?) to San Jose, and then down 101 to Salinas, cut across 68 driving past Laguna Seca to Hwy 1, and then continue down from there. Do it at the crack of dawn on a Sunday. Start when it's dark so that it's just starting to get light as you hit Salinas and cut across 68.

Better yet Josh I'd pick up Hwy. 1 off of I280 at Pacifica and take it all the way to Santa Cruz. You'll be the only one on the road and the drive is spectacular.

Bill

Hi

Get a hitch on your truck, rent a UHaul auto transport, only $50/ day. Then you load it, watch it and have control over the whole situation, easy.
    Bill

1966 Polo Red 912
    1978 Ice Green 930 Coupe (under construction)
    1988 GP White 911 Coupe (White Knight) Daily Driver