Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to open the large Durant mirror without braking the glass?

How to open the large Durant mirror without braking the glass?

My original mirror is too loose, falls down on its own. I think I need to tighten the bolt which connects base and mirror, but can not do it through the little hole in base, nut is rusted to the bolt and opening is just too small. I think I can get there from the other end, but need to remove the mirror. Whatever I try, the plastic retaining ring stays on. Does anybody know how can I open it?

Thanks,
    Martin

The plastic ring you need to remove has a slight lip that catches under the mirror edge, I started with a narrow blade x-acto knife, once I got a short section slightly pulled away I stuck a very small straight tip screwdriver in the qap to hold it out, then proceeded to get another bite with the x-acto, another small screwdriver stuck in, another bite, once you get about a quarter of the way around it will get much easier. To reinstall just push the plastic ring back in until the lip snaps under the mirror edge, goes back in in about a blink!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, have you ever removed glass from a 65-67 interior RV mirror? If so, how's it done and are replacement inserts available?

Thanks
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Nope, never done one of those John. Wasn't there a thread recently about someone doing this?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

interior mirrors, i assume the silver behind is all gone
    i have done a interior mirror job on my 77 esprit as the parts are even less avalable then the 911
    the key is to soak it in hot water , almost boiling to soften the plastic and you can pry it off a little bit at a time , worste case you brake it in 2 or 3 pieces, the replacement are dirt cheap , go at any scap yard and get a complete interior mirror from any car or truck on the lot as long as it bigger then yours , cut the platic off to preseve the mirror ( its has a different thickness) not flat , then use a dremel with a diamond bit or other gentle grinding tool and trim down to your size and pop it back in after soaking in hot water
    et voila
    now on the road 914-6
    now in the shop for concourse resto 11850275 S SWT
    daily driver B8 S4 stage 2

Thanks Ed & Freezing 14, but I couldn't find thread on removing interior mirror for pre-68, only unanswered questions on how to do it. I guess it can't be done without damaging the steel housing, which appears to be crimped over the glass much like an instrument bezel -- undo the crimp and you leave many small impressions in the housing.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

I did an interior mirror and had it re-silvered. All I can say, it's not easy. I just worked the edge up little by little. It came out great, but I'm not sure I would look forward to doing it again.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Thank you Ed for your manual. In fact, I tried it this way intuitively, but the plastic ring was stubborn, and I was afraid of bending the metal lip. I will try once more prying with a bit more force.
    Martin

I haven't done this but I'm thinking the old plastic ring would be quite hard so maybe warming it up with hot water or careful heat gun use mught help.
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The plastic ring you need to remove has a slight lip that catches under the mirror edge, I started with a narrow blade x-acto knife, once I got a short section slightly pulled away I stuck a very small straight tip screwdriver in the qap to hold it out, then proceeded to get another bite with the x-acto, another small screwdriver stuck in, another bite, once you get about a quarter of the way around it will get much easier. To reinstall just push the plastic ring back in until the lip snaps under the mirror edge, goes back in in about a blink!
    It's easier to do if the mirror is showing it's age or already cracked, but one method is take a ball peen hammer, then wish yourself 7 years bad luck. With the mirror in pieces and gone, it's a relatively easier task to remove the plastic ring. A glass shop can cut a new mirror for not that much.

Just call me Lurch,
    Sherwood