Thread: "tourist delivery"

"tourist delivery"

Unfortunately I don't have any history for my 70S but I have reason to believe that it was a tourist delivery.

It was first registered in the UK in December 1969 but (I am reliably informed) was not supplied hrough AFN there. Sometime after that (and I suspect soon after) itmadvitscwatvto it's way to Australia.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to find out whether a car was a tourist delivery?

Thanks
    Mitchell

RHD 1970S

Mitchell

the local Porsche importer can usually tell you this when they give you the info on your car.

For example for an Australian destination car to be a "tourist delivery" car it still needed to be ordered via the Australian distributor so that all the "Australia specific" options were included so that it could be complianced and registered in Australia when it finally arrived. However extra paperwork had to be filled out so it could be collected in person from the factory and it did not get delivered like all the other cars.

This information is all a part of the paperwork at Porsche and should be able to be confirmed by Porsche.

That is not to say that a car could not be bought overseas and privately imported - however that was a very different process (especially back in the early 70's where there were high levels of direct and indirect protection of the local industry) and indeed was difficult unless someone was either immigrating with the car or had lived overseas with the car for a minimum of 12 months. In these cases the car has to be "complianced" separately when it arrived and would not usually be on the local order lists.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    I agree here, you should be able to determine from Porsche, if the car was a Euro delivery, a factory pickup, on Treffen, Tourist Delivery, etc.

Slightly off topic here, but on the much later cars, if one should be inclined to need to know, on the vinyl body tag affixed to the underhood, such as on an 80's Carrera, the code for Tourist Delivery is noted as 900 in the code sequence. Our 88 Carrera has this code, was picked up by the first owner, a Dr. in San Francisco, in Stuttgart and driven about Germany before going to port. Curiously , it then was retrofitted with California cat and emissions testing after his drive in Europe. WHY ? Were not the US cats permitted to be used with German fuel at that time ?
    My guess is yes. They may have gotten poisoned by the German fuels on his maiden voyage.

Not a worry to the earlier cars ..........some things are just better with age.
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid