Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What you ever wanted to know about german license plates

What you ever wanted to know about german license plates

Hi there,
    after seeing many meticulously restored cars with horrible german look-alike plates, I'll try to outline the do's and don't.
    I have not prepared for this, but I will add further Information by editing this post as I come along.
    The information is not outright as there is nor rule without exception (Diplomats,Military,Dealer,temporary... ) but it should cover the majority of Cars between 64 and 73.

The plates within the 64-73 timeframe were all of the old "DIN-Schrift" font according to DIN 1451.
    So they had no Blue thing on the left and the old font. They were available from 1st june 1956 (after introduction of the euro plates on 1st Jan 1994 upon request) until 31st Oct 2000. In some regions you are now again able to get them upon request if you have a historic car with the so-called H-Zulassung.
    They have 1-3 Letters for the region code followed by "-" followed by 1-2 characters (usually no I and no O, but there are exceptions) and a number between 1 and 4 digits.
    If they had two lines then the region code was on the upper line and the 1-2 letters followed by 1-4 digits on the second line with no "-" on the whole plate.
    On the front and rear plate of the car there is either a Stamp (very oldschool) or a kind of Plastic chip "Feststoffplaketten" in an little pot or a sticker as a sign that the car is "zugelassen" it is called Dienstsiegel and is with regional differences (exeptions for Zoll and others...).
    This stamp is always under the "-", exceptions to this are plates with two lines where it was placed left of the region code.
    Euro Plates as of 1995 have no "-", between 1994 and 1995 they had a longer "-"
    On the rear plate there is also the TÜV - Sticker or also as plastic chip in this little aluminium oder SS pot, placed above the "-" on plates with two lines they were placed right of the region code.
    Here is a chart from wikipedia which shows which year had which color.
    Name:  doku_10.jpg
Views: 2787
Size:  118.0 KB

Earlyer plates had a shorter "-" than the later ones, and the "-" was vertically centered.
    Larger lower stickers "Dienstsiegel" brought up the need to raise the "-" . But this was long after the time the Cars were built (I think late 80s).
    Usually they were plain white and black with no reflective coating. Later the reflecting material became optional (perhaps until 91), and finally getting mandatory (if you had to get new plates).
    Some regions as e.g. Landkreis LEOnberg (and Weissach belonging to it) had their own region code which changed during time.
    Old Cars may keep their plates, but whenever there is a change of Ownership you will get new ones (BB as successor of LEO).
    With the introduction of the ASU - Abgassonderuntersuchung (emission check) in 1985 there came also a second sticker (or plastic chip) on the front plate (being after 85 not of interest for this article).

Sticker / self adhesive plates as seen on many of the factory race cars were to get in the earlier days, nowadays only to be legal with a lot of trouble or you just make them and stick them on.

Maximum size is 520mm width and 110mm height. If you have a short number e.g. S-P 1 or S-P 11 you could have shorter (narrower) plates if you wanted to.
    The DIN Font exists in 2 types middle and narrow. If you happen to have a car where a regular sized plate doesn't fit you got eg. narrow Font and a smaller width plate.
    Narrow font should only be used for the 1 or two letters after the "-" with the regin code and the numbers in regular fontwidth.
    For US Cars you could get plates with two lines and not only narrower font but also smaller font.
    The surrounding line is 4,5 mm (Tolerance: +2,0 mm / -1,0 mm)

Zoll-Kennzeichen were for Cars that were to be exported: oval signs having a Z as first character on the second line.
    Name:  800px-License_plate_of_Germany_for_export_vehicles.png
Views: 1642
Size:  425.0 KB

An example of a TÜV Sticker post 74: these are with the month in which the next Check is scheduled on the top at 12 o'clock.
    Name:  320px-Hauptuntersuchung-Plakette_2015_-_4487.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  47.1 KB

Some examples of don'ts
    1.) Don't put new (euro) Font(94-) on old plates (-94):
    The font for the plates changed with the introduction of the Euro-Plates (with the blue thing on the left)

do it rather like this one

Weblinks with further information

Photos of cars with factory plates
    www.kennzeichenwelt.de
    www.nummernschildmuseum.de/
    Zollkennzeichen for export (thanks Dennis)

Confirmed Stuttgart plates with Date (not Factory plates, just Stuttgart or Leo plates where I have the date they were issued)
    S-ML 96x July 61
    S-E 92xx Apr. 68
    LEO-MN 9x June 66
    Last edited by uai; 01-30-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Thanks for the very informative thread.
    Just a little addition to the Zoll plates info ....

http://www.dr-herzfeld.de/kennzeiche...te/brdzoll.pdf

Cant recall where I got this from ... Google maybe ...
    I still have the Z plates from my '74 2.7 S tourist delivery - 857 Z - 9666 - HauptZollampt,Stuttgart-Ost.
    ..... nailed to the wall right above the laptop ...

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    Last edited by gulf908; 01-26-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Uai,

Do you happen to have a picture of a 66 license plate and can those plates still be get (for show)?

Richard

Nice thread.

Period plates and correct DIN Font
    71S

71T

73E

68MY

65/66MY
    Last edited by 911T1971; 10-26-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Registry member No.773

are the front and rear plates (in '66) different size like the orange 911/912 above?

RIchard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    are the front and rear plates (in '66) different size like the orange 911/912 above?

RIchard
    Hi Richard,
    no, in common they are the same. But if you have a short number e.g. S-P 1 or S-P 11 you could have shorter (narrower) plates or only one narrow and one wide plate if you wanted to.
    The DIN Font exists in 2 types middle and narrow. If you happen to have a car where a regular sized plate doesn't fit you got eg. narrow Font and a smaller width plate.
    For US Cars you could get plates with two lines and not only narrower font but also smaller font.
    Cheers

Uli
    Last edited by uai; 01-27-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Richard
    no, I haven't got one here, but there are some around the internet.
    If it shall be a Stuttgart plate it should be around S-E and 4 digits as my 1st owner 66 sqareback had this combo.
    [edit] I looked it up - it was a april 68 Car and had a S-E 92xx number[/edit]
    I can try to find out when the first S-AA two letter plates were used.
    You can still get the old plates (but with reflective coating) there is also a webshop for them, but I don't have the url at hand .
    [edit: found it]
    http://www.kennzeichenversand.de/KFZ...nfuehrung.html
    But I can ask the guy who made mine, whether he can source some plain white ones - if you make a centralized buying it might even be an idea to have a batch produced to your liking and get them shipped do someone in the US who dispatches them over there - should be a lot cheaper.
    I think ebay.de might also be a good source to get real old ones.

Uli
    Last edited by uai; 01-30-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Here is another thread with great period photos of these plates

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=plates
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Very good, Uli!

I've seen Euro plates come up on eBay . . . now I have some guidance buying.

Thank you, Sir!

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

A question on the pre 1973 TUV dated sticker - was it dated for the year of issue or the next due inspection?

It's my understanding the inspection was good for a two year period.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370