Thread: refurbishment of original Blaupunkt radios

refurbishment of original Blaupunkt radios

I have read about companies that will replace the guts of a vintage car radio with modern electronics, but keep the face and the knobs of the radio original. The end result is a stock looking radio, but with even better sound and clarity.

Has anybondy used a particular vendor for this that they would recommend?

Thanks!

NLA does it, it's very expensive
    Having considered that I sent my original to Wilfred Wilkes Sr. for a total refurbishment
    My logic being that the greatest signal material in the world, played through a 2x8 dash speaker, sounds like Charlie Brown's parents. . .
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

why spend anything on an old radio ( that was crap then )...there are radios that are designed for vintage vehicles to be mounted remotely (out of sight ) and operated by a remote control... allowing for the latest in sounds...the OEM radio becomes a dummy for show only... a current radio / sound system will not fit in original location, remote becomes the only way... there is a dual coil 6 x 9 stereo speaker that fits in dash to replace original mono speaker...gives passable sounds a new radio is reasonable, offers superior sounds, and comes with a warranty

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    If it was crap then I want it to be crap now.

Only [half] kidding.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I posted about this radio some time ago. People responded that it doesn't work in the US and there is some sort of "slot" that requires a cut in the dash.

That said, I think it's really cool and would love to get one.

I have a Becker Mexico (not original to the car (but a period option) as all Australian delivered cars had radios fitted locally in order to cut government taxes). I had it restored / refurbished by Becker in Aust (including the Amp) and had them custom make an iPod connection including charging circuits etc that goes to an Ipod hidden in ash tray. The centre "on" switch for the cassette unit was modified by them to be the switch between the radio and the ipod instead of the cassette (which was disabled). The dash speaker was also replaced by twin small speakers in that position. Therfore the whole thing looks stock. I have got to say that the sound is not bad, and more than passable on a long trip especially from the Ipod, but the speakers, and their placement really let it down significantly especially compared to the door speakers that I used to have in it.

That said if i wanted great music sound ............Name:  interior 2011 008.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  120.5 KB I would be driving another car - this one has the great sound from the engine, exhaust, and of course the ever present wind noise especially with the windows down that render any attempt to have fine audio futile
    Last edited by HughH; 01-31-2012 at 03:27 AM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Raj

i don't know. have not really considered it. I have always just thought of it as a RHD piece that covers the centre tunnel. it is a metal piece with 2 screws attaching it and is needed to be removed before accessing anything close to there.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    honestly, as long as it looks good, I am ok. It doesnt even have to turn on.. if you have this just plug in your ipod directly to it, no worries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hidden-i...item35b8fc7e80

from, the ad:

This is a "Buy it Now" listing for "The Classic Car Audio Solution"
    A self contained stand alone hidden digital music system
    Fits All PORSCHE MODELS,
    Demonstrated LIVE and SOLD OUT at the March 2011 PORSCHE swap meet in Anaheim
    Also Classic Cars, Collectible Cars, European Sports Cars, 50's Cruisers, Hot Rods, etc.
    A Woody's Custom Shop Exclusive
    No need to rebuild your original AM or AM FM radio.
    No need to have it modified to accept an iPod or MP3 player input.
    Leave your original radio in place. It does not even need to be operational.

The Classic Car Audio Solution is a "mini amp" with digital inputs for iPod/iPhone, MP3 player,
    or MP3 files on an SD card or USB memory stick. No AM or FM

I am putting in a radio delete block off plate and hiding this in the trunk or smugglers box or somewhere... all i really need is my ipod.

I rarely listen to music, in my car (can barely hear it anyways). Only if i am on long distance road trips that go across several states. I usually just listen on my ear phones, but i admit thats not the safest....

I did just buy this guy.. but he is going in safe keeping for in case i go back to a stock look in the future.

Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Guys,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

As suggested in the thread, I called NLA only to learn that they no longer provide this service. I had guessed that they simply outsourced the conversion and then added on their profit. NLA was kind enough to give me the name of the company they outsourced the radio conversion to. See the link below. Much cheaper than what NLA was charging.

http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Thanks!