Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Carrera RS for Sale

Hi Mike,

You're welcome glad to help out. Do you know where the Audi dealer was? Also I was wondering (as always) about documentation with the car, especially the original delivery books and other docs from the original owner. Does he have these items?

My understanding is that because this is a Light Ivory car it would have come with black script on the tail and no side script because there is no option code for the side script listed. But heck since the red side script is there along with the red wheels just fix up the ducktail, put red script on and drive as intended.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

I'm curious about the Becker. The faceplate looks, to me, like the kind that were used in Mercedes. I thought that the 911s had a face plate for the Becker to be post mounted the same way that the Blaupunkts were mounted.

If I'm wrong, then I'm going to kick myself, because I sold a Mexico like this one! I would have put it in my 73 had I known that it was correct.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom, I have never seen a Becker Mexico Olympia with anything other than a DIN mount. I believe that the shaft mount was a standard offering on the Europa's and Grand Prix for the non-RS cars. I have not seen a document that indicates the Mexico was available for anything other than the RS. BTW you can still aquire a Mexico for about $250-300, but you have to be patient and scower the Samba and Ebay ads. Mine fit in my 72 without any modifications, other than removing the mounting brackets for the shaft mount, which can easily be reversed if needed. I actually added the iPod input on mine, which was a nice feature.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Brian, just spoke to the gentleman who services the car. He helped broker the sale years back and said he believes the car to be originally part of Vasek Polak's collection. Now on my friend to assemble whatever documentation he can find. An interesting research assignment, this is...

I've collected old Beckers of this period for years.

The great thing about this Mexico is that it appears to be original to this RS and not lifted from a Benz as many are.

It looks to have the correct Porsche specific knobs - see the pic herewith - a quick comparison with the W113 280SL Benz Mexico.

The Benz knobs had - for many, many years - a silver inner trim ring within the knobs, the same as e.g. other knobs on a Benz dash and window winders. You can tell a Becker if it's from a Benz as it will have these type of knobs.

This RS Mexico seems to have the Porsche correct items - different to the silver inner trim ring Benz knobs - in plain black. BMW's used a different knob again, similar to the Benz but deeper.

I'm after a set of these Porsche knobs if anyone has any spare.....(**not looking to hi-jack thread**)

From half a world away that looks to be a nice car. Unlikely to last long.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers

I have been trying to remember what facts I can contribute here. 25 years ago I had several conversations with Bert Ohlander and Carl Thompson about the new RS's that Vasek Polak had while they were working for him. I believe it was Ohlander that told me they had three; 2-M472's and the RSH I owned at the time. They came via Ben Pon in Holland. I do not think they received any directly from the Factory.

I think Hugh is correct regarding Holbert. The M471 (#1406) was delivered to them and I know the car was in Philadelphia for a time. This M472 has the same dealer code (UD) Interesting that Holberts RSR was also Light Ivory.

The option code 256 in the RS book is almost certainly a misprint. On the Old VW-Porsche distribution sheet we used to use before the book came out it shows it as 258.

Regarding graphics, Brian is right, Light Ivory cars were delivered with black unless special ordered.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkH; 01-31-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Never seen such a group of guys more excited than at the t-bar. Wow, nice car indeed and if i play my fortune cookie lottery #'s correctly I will be in own a piece of history.

Regarding Country Codes in RS Book, the 7 listed are U.S. dealers;

UA- Johnson
    UL- Art Bunker
    UF- Harmon?
    UJ- Brumos
    UH- Hagestadt
    UD- Holbert
    UC- Hilligoss?

Hilligoss and Harmon are not familiar to me. Anyone?

Sale pending according to Pelican posting
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I had a heavily optioned '73 S with it's original Becker Mexico (as indicated on the Kardex, too). It was identical to the one in this car. I also have another one on the shelf. All my other Beckers have the chrome ring knobs.
    Last edited by Jens; 01-31-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183